fonts and friends

Post by Big Fis » Wed, 19 Apr 2000 04:00:00

When I run netscape, I get this message:

Warning: Cannot convert string
"-*-Menu-Medium-R-Normal--*-120-*-*-P-*-ISO8859-1" to type FontStruct

What is this about and how do I take care of it? Or at least, how do I
hide it so I don't have to see it every time? (output redirection to
/dev/null doesn't seem to work.)

Also, anybody knows a good book to learn postscript from?

Thanks!

--
Please kindly send a copy of your reply directly

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

fonts and friends

Post by Seong-Kook C » Thu, 20 Apr 2000 04:00:00

>When I run netscape, I get this message:

>Warning: Cannot convert string
>"-*-Menu-Medium-R-Normal--*-120-*-*-P-*-ISO8859-1" to type FontStruct

>What is this about and how do I take care of it?

It seems to be that font (``-*-Menu-Medium-*...'') is not installed
or misspelled. Try if that font is available in your X.
`xfontsel' may help you.

Quote:>Or at least, how do I
>hide it so I don't have to see it every time? (output redirection to
>/dev/null doesn't seem to work.)

By convention, error messages are written to the standard error
(stderr). Try `netscape >& /dev/null' instead of `netscape > /dev/null'.

--
    Dreaming is most beautiful in my life.
        http://pcrc.hongik.ac.kr/~progman

1. Friends don't let friends use Linux

: I just bought the two CD version of Linux Universe and am I ever
: disappointed! This program has more compatiblity problems than Windoze ever
: had.

I don't think so, that might be the case if you by some kind of CD with
precompiled Kernel images. Use them and make your own Kernel after installing
a system which doesn't support all the hardware you have.

I'll give you an example that what you wrote is just wrong:

I'm using a Sony IDE CDROM which is supported from actual Kernels, and this
one works better on LINUX that it ever did on Windoze, even with the buggy CMD
ide controller.

Sven

        SNAILMAIL: Sven Geggus - Haydnstr.5 - 76356 Weingarten - GERMANY

2. PC-NFS?

3. Novell Networking

4. Matrox Mystique ands X.

5. !somebody hacking my PC,HELP

6. FONTS FONTS AND MORE FONTS

7. regex, regcmp also Booting SunOS 4.1.x Solaris 2.3

8. FONTS FONTS FONTS... LOTS OF THEM!!!!!!!

9. keyboard/console fonts vs. X-fonts

10. I need a box-drawing font (or a font editor)

11. Font Problem: could not open default font 'fixed'

12. Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo