Source Code Mgmt on Unix

Post by Richard R Rag » Thu, 12 Apr 1990 02:52:50

We are interested in understanding what organizational
and project strategies UNIX users employ to handle
source code management using RCS and SCCS tools.
We are particularly interested in how they manage a
project that has many different files (more than 500)
with many different programmers needing access to the code.

1. Do you generally keep all code associated with one
   program in one directory, or do programs reside in
   several different directories?
   If they reside in different directories, how does a
   programmer determine which files are part of the
   program he is is working on?

2. How do you handle the case where more than 1 programmer
   needs to modify code to the same file at the same time?
   Does one wait until the other is finished?
   If not, how are changes reconciled when the second
   programmer checks in his code?

3. When a programmer adds a new function or file to an
   existing program, who is responsible for seeing that
   the makefile is updated to reflect the change?

4. How do you determine which versions of the files go
   together?

5. Have you found any other available tools to be
   particularly helpful in managing your code?
   Have you written your own scripts to further enhance
   or simplify the RCS/SCCS tools?

I will summarize feedback. Thanks.
Richard R. Ragan (408) 496-4340
Control Data Corp., Silicon Valley Operations

1. Recommended source code mgmt system for informix-4gl applications

I am looking for a recommendation as to what type of source code
management system to use for my informix-4gl applications.

I am currently running Informix 7.31 under HP-UX 11.  We have
approximately 5 developers that work on our 4GL applications.  I am
currently leaning towards SCCS since it is free and we are a small
shop.

Is it worth looking at other applications or does SCCS work fine.
Please keep in mind that I would like to keep the source code mgmt on
the UNIX box.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
Michele

2. HELP !!!! AMD K5-133 !!!!! HELP !!!!!

3. Looking for source code mgmt tool

4. NeoMagic cursor.....a large block

5. learning unix programming by studying unix source code ?

6. US-NY (212) Oracle DBA Consultant support PeopleSoft Unix

7. mainframe-style data mgmt, tape mgmt

8. uname -a and sysinfo shows different results

9. Any PD source for Queues/Stacks/FIFOs/Generic DB MGMT

10. I need to get hold of a simple Unix Shell source code

11. Unix network programming; compiling source code problem

12. How to #define multiple text lines in Unix c source code

13. Source code viewer for Linux/Unix