installing ghostscript as filter in /etc/printcap

installing ghostscript as filter in /etc/printcap

Post by Scott Norwo » Thu, 20 Feb 1997 04:00:00

I keep reading about how easy it is to install ghostscript as a print
filter to allow easy printing of Postscript files to non-postscript printers.
I still haven't seen an /etc/printcap with this implemented, however, nor
have I been able to find anything online with specific examples of how to
implement this, and AFAIK, it's not in the Ghostscript docs, either.

My present /etc/printcap is as follows:

hardcopy|hardcopy: \
   :lp=/dev/lp1: \
   :sd=/usr/spool/lpd/hardcopy: \
   :lf=/usr/spool/lpd/hardcopy/errs: \
   :mx#0: \
   :sh: \
   :sf:

Any and all help is appreciated.  Thanks.

--
<h1><blink>If this line blinks, then it's time to get a newsreader that
doesn't encourage HTML news posting!  There are many that are better

Post by Ted Deppn » Mon, 24 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>I keep reading about how easy it is to install ghostscript as a print

Really easy.  Write a script that you can send a PS file to via stdin.
then set that script to be your input filter on your "ps" printer.

ps:lp=/dev/null:if=/usr/spool/lpd/lpps:mx#0:sh:sf:

lpps does your ghostcript, and then resumbits the job via lpr to your actual
printer queue.  lpps should send nothing to it's stdout btw, and I don't think
the sh or sf are necessary, since the job is handled before those would be
added ( I think ).

I'm not at my main box now, else I'd drop in my snippets.  I also use this
if= for our pager paging queue.  You submit "phonenumber pagetosend" to it,
and it dails the modem and everything.  Very efficent method of modem
management for paging.

--
Ted Deppner

http://www.psyber.com

1. Help needed: Ghostscript as /etc/printcap filter

I would like to print postscript files on non-postscript printers.
Ghostscript can do things like that but I would like the process to be
transparent for the users.
Therefore I would like to use ghostscript as a filter set in the
/etc/printcap.
Does anyone has done this and could provide me an example?

Thanks.

2. Keyboard shortcuts for menu apps?

3. How do I put GhostScript in etc/printcap ???

4. SLIP for AIX PS/2 ??

5. Filters and /etc/printcap

6. PPro 256K L2 cache and memory > 64M

7. Using Output Filters in /etc/printcap

8. Boot disk and backup

9. How to set up filters in /etc/printcap?

10. SUMMARY: Filters and /etc/printcap

11. /etc/printcap entry and filters for NEC SilentWriter 2 /90

12. Filter todos in the /etc/printcap file for IBM 4019 & HP Laserjet printer

13. Help with Slackware 7, /etc/printcap, filters, and TCP/IP Printing