Environment doesn't change with su

Post by Matthew Ca » Sun, 13 Mar 1994 02:58:40

About the problem where someone is trying to su to root
but doesn't get root's environment, try this

        su - root

The - tells su to read the environment (.profile) of the
account you are su-ing to.

--

1. Why doesn't my prompt change when I su?

I am used to having my prompt change to "#" when I su (to root, of course).  I
have recently installed Linux 1.0.8 (Slackware install 1.2).  I have set
root's .profile so I get a # at login and have played with the gettydefs.
What am I missing?

Thanks in advance,
Tim Tomlin

2. accept() is giving a strange error

3. 'su ' vs. 'su -'

4. How to use nisaddcred from script?

5. restrict use of 'su' or 'su -'

6. Novell

7. environment variable not set when 'su'

8. Implementing Cern's Protection directive on Netscape Enterprise Server

9. 'su -c' doesn't work properly?

10. 'su --login user -c command' doesn't run loggin scripts

11. '..' in cdpath doesn't work in CDE 1.0 environment

12. su'ing doesn't read /.cshrc

13. su doesn't read user's shell init files?