Background in X-windows

Post by Michael Albe » Tue, 18 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Hi there,

I've been trying to solve this by myself for a while, however out of pure
need ask your wisdom and knowledge... :)

I have a gif file which I would like to display as my background in X-windows,
how do I convert it to the bitmap format, and where do I have the line, say:

xsetroot -bitmap test

for example. Or any other command that is used.

Many thanks,

Michael Albers

                ~/~~~
               ` O-O '

                  o        |  |  |
  _----------ooO ----Ooo   |  |  |
 |   ___________________\  ________
 |  /        Michael Albe\ \____   -

 | |       XImage Corpora\  /com  | |
 |  \_____________________\ \tion | |
  \________________________\ \___/  |
              _|_| |_|        \____/
             (___) (_)

 /_________________________________________________________________\
| ThEsE CoMmEnTs AnD oPiNiOnS aRe MiNe, MiNe I TeLl Ya, AnD NoThInG |
| tO dO WiTh My EmPlOyEr WhAtSoEvEr. BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH       |

Background in X-windows

Post by Kevin Hilm » Thu, 20 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

> I've been trying to solve this by myself for a while, however out of pure
> need ask your wisdom and knowledge... :)

> I havea gif file which I would like to display as my background in X-windows,
> how do I convert it to the bitmap format, and where do I have the line, say:

> xsetroot -bitmap test

If you have xv, do

xv -root -wait 1 my_pretty_background.gif

          Lottery: A tax for those who are bad at math.

Hello!

I have 3 questions about X-windows:

Is there a good graphical bases typewriter (not editor) in which
i can write and layout text in x-windows, without using a bunch
of codes as in e.g. latech.

Is it possible to make a telnet like connection in a MS windows
based PC to a unix machine which is capable to run the X-windows
system. So i could use for example Xmaple when I am sitting home
where i dont have unix, but I do have a fast pc and internet.

Is there a special X-windows newsgroup?

Please e-mail me because i cant read the newsgroups so often.

thanks

Sander Zboray
http://gene.wins.uva.nl/~zboray

2. Our homepage starts at just $30 per month!

3. X-Windows comes up, when I bring up an Xterm, X-Windows quits

4. setserial modem question

5. After Install X-windows comes up I run Xterm, X-windows quits

6. I need an IP but no DHCP server

7. Starting X-Windows via Background Process - RH 6.1

8. LinuxPPC and Cable Modems?

9. the normally grey X-Windows background is striped - why?

10. setting backgrounds in X-windows

11. X-Windows Background

12. Background Starting X-Windows w/o XWD

13. Background proc to kill errant X-Windows ?