file transfer and mount

Post by Dan Mac Leo » Sun, 31 Jan 1999 04:00:00

have just installed Open server 5 ver 5.0.5 on a new server and I am
trying to some how copy the files from the old server. uucp and uuto seem to
be very cryptic and hard to use. So I thought mounting the old server over
the network might be better but when I enter the following I get an error

I entered this on the new server

mount -f  NFS old_system_name:directory_on_old_system_where_the_files_are
/mnt

and received this error

mount: oldserver:/usr/dan server not responding (1)
: RPC: Program not registered

Thanks for you help

--

Dan Mac Leon

http://www.raggedmt.com

file transfer and mount

Post by Barry Margoli » Mon, 01 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I entered this on the new server

>mount -f  NFS old_system_name:directory_on_old_system_where_the_files_are
>/mnt

>and received this error

>mount: oldserver:/usr/dan server not responding (1)
>: RPC: Program not registered

The old server apparently isn't running mountd.

Don't bother cc'ing followups to me.

1. perms & mounts for file transfer between linux partitions?

I have have mandrake 8.1 and redhat 5.1 dual booting from different drives
on my machine.  I want to be able to copy files from either to the other if
possible.  I think I know how to define mounts for each but I believe there
is more to be done than that.  Permissions or other access settings have to
be configured I believe. ? Can anyone enlighten this newbie on this subject?
thanks.

2. Btrieve with linux and mars

3. Matrox Mystique ands X.

4. Mach 3.0

5. Locking a file temporarily (till the file is transferred completely).

6. HP-UX 10.20

7. Transferring unix file to Windows file

8. "No space left on device"

9. transfer partial lines of a file to new file

10. QUESTION: transferring files between file systems???

11. Transferring DOS files to UNIX files

12. File transfer speed between WinNT w/s and Samba file

13. Locking a file temporarily (till the file is transferred completely)