Configuring Unix

Post by ne » Sat, 19 Apr 2003 11:15:35

Hello Everyone,

I have a AMD Athlon XP 2000 with 1024ddr and a Geforce 4 Geforce Ti
128, what flavour unix would you reccomend I use with this. I am not
sure if I want to make the shift from Windows to Unix, one reason is
because I am in between worlds about my system and whether I could use
Unix to utilize all of its abilities. I am getting fairly bored of
Windows... So I want to...

If anyone can offer to guide me and answer a few questions that would
be cool. I can pretty much figure it out for myself, but I know there
are going to be places where I will get stuck on networking related
issues.

- Neo

Configuring Unix

Post by Chris Co » Sun, 20 Apr 2003 05:17:43

> Hello Everyone,

> I have a AMD Athlon XP 2000 with 1024ddr and a Geforce 4 Geforce Ti
> 128, what flavour unix would you reccomend I use with this. I am not
> sure if I want to make the shift from Windows to Unix, one reason is
> because I am in between worlds about my system and whether I could use
> Unix to utilize all of its abilities. I am getting fairly bored of
> Windows... So I want to...

There aren't any Unix for a contemporary workstation PC today.  You
might be able to get Solaris to install on it, but forget about your
wheel mouse and forget about accelerated 3d.  However, I have deployed
several i386 based Solaris platforms, they seem to work
reasonably well (apart from Sun's on/off again affair with i386).
Also, you could look at SCO, but last time I used it, it was
pretty particular about HW (even more so than Solaris).

However, Linux will run quite nicely on this platform.  I use
Linux on a dual MP2400+ with a Ti4600.  No problems.  My
Linux distribution of choice is SuSE (just remember the
kernel options acpi=on pci=acpi acpi=oldboot mem=nopentium.
Granted the pci=acpi and acpi=oldboot are to ensure high
irq mappings and booting from a hw raid controller on my
platform).  Unix is very Linux-like, so this may be a
viable option.  Move to comp.os.linux.setup for questions
on getting started.

Quote:

> If anyone can offer to guide me and answer a few questions that would
> be cool. I can pretty much figure it out for myself, but I know there
> are going to be places where I will get stuck on networking related
> issues.

If you choose Linux, I suggest you hang out at the friendlier
Linux groups.  This group is reserved for "Unix" questions, though
no two people on this list can agree on what "Unix" is (it's probably
the most popular thread).

Quote:

> - Neo

Neo? You're just asking to get flamed here.