Best way to learn

Post by nickeltu.. » Wed, 04 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hi there:  Hope I've got the right forum.  I'm fairly computer savvy
and familiar with Windows Networking and Client Server technology.
However, I need to learn Unix for an upcoming job.

What's the best way to do this?  Any book recommendations?  Would it
be worthwhile to install Linux on my PC, or do I should I really have
a network in place to learn Unix admin properly.

Thanks

-Ken

Best way to learn

Post by annel.. » Fri, 06 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> Hi there:  Hope I've got the right forum.  I'm fairly computer savvy
> and familiar with Windows Networking and Client Server technology.
> However, I need to learn Unix for an upcoming job.
> What's the best way to do this?  Any book recommendations?  Would it
> be worthwhile to install Linux on my PC, or do I should I really have
> a network in place to learn Unix admin properly.
> Thanks
> -Ken

For networking you might want to install FreeBSD rather than
Linux.  There's a great deal you can learn that's independent of
networking, and setting up a small network connected to your pc
may be financially reasonable if you've got another computer
or two around, even a laptop with a pcmcia slot.  You can experiment,
then, with the tools such as samba for NT-UNIX networks.  I think
installing at home is an excellent idea.

        Annelise

1. Learning the ways of the Penguin

Checked the man pages, and searched on the web, and HOWTO's, but didn't find
what I was looking for, so I'm posting my questions here.

Recently became a Linux RH 5.2 user, and after some trial and error, and
alot of reading, I have my Redhat machine on the network, sharing with my
Windows 98 machines.

Now for some questions:

1. How do I display file sizes within linux? Using dir or ls presents a nice
color coded display of the directory, but I want to see a "dos-style" list
of the files, with date, and file size in kilobytes when I list the files.

2. Is there a CHMOD 'HOWTO' ? Is there a page/site that someone can point me
to that explains more information about the CHMOD and perhaps CHOWN
commands?

3. I'm interested in performing scheduled backups on my linux machine, using
TAR, but the MAN pages are greek to me, and not much assistance. Is there a
page/site that can help me set up a script to perform backups of my network
to file/disk/tape using TAR, or some other form of utility?

Thank you in advance for you understanding,

A student in Linux,
Hawkwynd

http://hawkwynd.tzo.com

2. screen 3.5.2 security

3. Good Ways to learn PERL????

4. Looking for a Linux program to backup and sycronize files and folders to network drives

5. Best ways to increase the security of my linux box

6. ATI EXpert 98 and XFree86 4.2.0

7. Best ways to handle function keys?

8. Motherboard Compatibility

9. Q: The Best Ways to Have 4GB Linux Box

10. Best ways to optimise Linux

11. Best ways of searching web pages - wais, swish etc

12. The best ways to connect a Win95 box to a Linux box ???????

13. Using Linux to learn AIX - which version is best ?