Correct Trademark Citation for UNIX

Post by Binion Amers » Sat, 21 Mar 1992 23:04:42

Recently I have noticed in books and publications that the trademark citation
for UNIX has changed.  Previously the trademark citation read:

   "UNIX is a trademark of AT&T Bell Laboratories."

Now, I have seen:

   "UNIX is a trademark of UNIX System Laboratories, Inc."

and

   "UNIX is a registered trademark of UNIX System Laboratories, Inc."

Which is correct?

--
 Binion Amerson, Documentation Manager, OpenConnect Systems, Inc., 2033

 General Manager: 40th STC Annual Conference, June 6-9, 1993,  Dallas, TX

Post by Richard Tob » Wed, 25 Mar 1992 22:54:13

>   "UNIX is a trademark of AT&T Bell Laboratories."

Personally, I prefer "UNIX is a bell of AT&T Trademark Laboratories"
which is I believe due to Chris Torek.

-- Richard
--
Richard Tobin,

Edinburgh University.

Post by Bob Makows » Sat, 28 Mar 1992 18:16:27

>Recently I have noticed in books and publications that the trademark citation
>for UNIX has changed.  Previously the trademark citation read:

>   "UNIX is a trademark of AT&T Bell Laboratories."

>Now, I have seen:

>   "UNIX is a trademark of UNIX System Laboratories, Inc."

>and

>   "UNIX is a registered trademark of UNIX System Laboratories, Inc."

>Which is correct?

It's a registered trademark of USL. You're right to be confused. Since
'88, it's been AT&T Bell Labs (twice), AT&T INformations SYstems, and USL.
I think there may even have been an interim step before USL.

= Mak

Correct Trademark Citation for UNIX

Post by Peter da Sil » Sun, 29 Mar 1992 08:06:52

I've got a button that says "* UNIX is a footnote of AT&T".
--
-- Peter da Silva,  Ferranti International Controls Corporation
-- Sugar Land, TX  77487-5012;  +1 713 274 5180

Post by Chris Tor » Wed, 08 Apr 1992 07:06:12

>Personally, I prefer "UNIX is a bell of AT&T Trademark Laboratories"
>which is I believe due to Chris Torek.

I got it from someone else (possibly Mike Urban), but I did help spread
it :-)
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Lawrence Berkeley Lab CSE/EE (+1 510 486 5427)

1. Who owns UNIX trademark?

This may be a really easy question, but...

I need to cite the owner of the UNIX trademark for a document I am working
on.  I have been informed that AT&T no longer owns this trademark.

Does anybody know the owner of the trademark?

Thanks!

Steve

2. Total Cost of Ownership - a challenge

3. UNIX trademark

4. Solaris and syslogd

5. who has UNIX trademark?

6. gtk+-1.0.3 install problem !

7. UNIX: Trademark or OS?

8. CD Installation HELP !!!

9. net.views ... unix trademark

10. Who owns the UNIX trademark ?

11. UNIX is a registered trademark of ...

12. Need bibliography/citations on emerging standards for multithreaded programming.

13. citation programm