Looking for B1 Security Packages

Post by Karl-Jose Filler,L » Tue, 14 Jul 1992 17:52:06

Is there a security package for Sun's(Sparc)/HP (9000-7xx) types,
which is DoD certified at B1 ?

If so, is anyone using it and does it work ?

Any comments ... are wellcome

        Karl-Jose Filler

Karl-Jose Filler                Voice: +49-911-526-2870

D-8500 Nuernberg  Germany
--
Karl-Jose Filler                Voice: +49-911-526-2870

D-8500 Nuernberg  Germany

Looking for B1 Security Packages

Post by will do TCP/IP for foo » Wed, 15 Jul 1992 07:53:29

Quote:>Is there a security package for Sun's(Sparc)/HP (9000-7xx) types,
>which is DoD certified at B1 ?

        DoD doesn't "certify" anything. It evaluates specific configurations
of hardware and software and will place those that meet the requirements on
the evaluated products list.

        What are you looking for? B1 or B1 with workstation capabilities?
Pure B1 is a pretty isolated environment - you might want to look at the
various offerings in CMW (Compartmented Mode Workstation). Sun has one,
but I don't think it's done evaluation yet. DEC has one that is almost
through (DEC MLS+). I don't think HP is even working in that arena.
        Part of the problem with stuff like CMWs is how you handle things
like X-window in a multi-level security environment. MLS+ has some pretty
cool things in it - for example if you have a document that is TS and
cut&paste into a document that is UC, it will automatically upgrade the
recipient document to TS.
        Be careful who claims to be on the evaluated products list. If
someone says "we're CMW" or "we're B1" ask them if they are on the
evaluated products list.

mjr.
--

        SVR4 for president. Can four years of System V be *THAT* much worse
than 4 more years of George Bush?                       -notebooks of a heretic

1. Looking for a basic UNIX security analysis package

Well, I think that the subject line says it all. I've used cops in the
past, but that was about two years ago and I have to admit that I set it
up several years prior to that. The subject has reared its ugly head
because we've had a number of breakin attempts via a web site and
I thought some extra prudence might be in order.

Is cops 1.0.4 still useful? I read about a program called Tripwire - how
is that different from cops? Also, I found that the perl version of cops
seems to be for perl 4.x, is there a perl 5 version?

TIA,
James

James Gallagher                  The Distributed Oceanographic Data System

2. timed - problem

3. COSE & B1/B2 Security

4. Using lilo to boot off any drive ...

5. B1 security level

7. New Look Security-Forums Dot Com - Computer Security - Networking - Firewalls - Exploits and More.

8. Ingres wview runs on Tek XP115M but not on XP214M

9. Looking for Security / Kernel level programmers in the BOSTON area for an innovative SECURITY PRODUCT

10. I am looking for Linux Security FAQ and Security related sites

11. Looking for linux SECURITY and KERNEL programmers in the BOSTON area for REVOLUTIONARY security product

12. UNIX security package

13. Unix security package