Changing RCS version numbers

Post by Kenneth Nels » Wed, 10 Jul 1991 04:18:48

Hi

    I am interested in modifying a set of RCS file version numbers.  I RTFM &
    looked at the FAQ list but didn't see any discussion on my problem.  This
    seems like a basic function that should be in RCS so I'm sure someone
    has done it.

    The essence of my problem is that I have a set of RCS files numbered 1.1
    to 1.x and I want to renumber all versions to 0.1.1 to 0.1.x.  This appears
    to be very difficult to accomplish short of writing a tool to manipulate
    the RCS files themselves.

    Does anyone have a program to do this?

Thanks in advance,

Ken
--

Kenneth L. Nelson

Post by Paul Egge » Sat, 13 Jul 1991 09:01:46

>    I have a set of RCS files numbered 1.1
>    to 1.x and I want to renumber all versions to 0.1.1 to 0.1.x.

There's no easy way to do this.  When faced with this problem, I wrote
a terrible hack that ran `rlog' on every RCS file to gather the
necessary info, then checked out every revision of every file into a
directory named for that revision (e.g. 1.1/bar, 1.1/foo, 1.2/bar,
1.2/foo).  Then I deleted the RCS files (after archiving them!).
Then I renamed the directories and reversed the process, using ci's
-d, -m, -w, etc. flags to reconstitute the rlog info.

It wasn't pretty, but it worked.  Files checked in with `ci -k' would
have defeated it.

Post by Tonnie Gerae » Sat, 13 Jul 1991 15:57:27

>>    I have a set of RCS files numbered 1.1
>>    to 1.x and I want to renumber all versions to 0.1.1 to 0.1.x.
>There's no easy way to do this.  When faced with this problem, I wrote
>a terrible hack that ran `rlog' on every RCS file to gather the

Why not edit the RCS files: they are just plain text file (if the files
ci'ed are). The file format can be found in RCS(5). If you have many files
to modify, you could write a small program for it.

Remember that RCS files are normaly read-only, so you must first change the
protection.

Greetings
        Tonnie Geraets.

 "Mam, wat vroeger God deed doet nu de computer, he?" - Robbie Bergmans (7)
 ("Mom, what God used to do, is now done by a computer, isn't it?")