1. nohup xterm doesn't nohup -- why?
Since this may be a shell type question, or it may be an X question, I've
cross-posted to comp.unix.shell, and comp.windows.x.
In Korn shell, "nohup command &" is required to run a command in the background
while permitting ^D to log out of the controlling tty that launched the command.
The first ^D says something like "There are running jobs". The second ^D goes
ahead and logs out, and the nohup'ed command keeps on running.
Without nohup, the process running the command gets killed upon the second ^D.
None of that is news to anyone here, I suspect.
However, if the command is xterm, then my nohup'ed xterm window dies too upon
the second ^D. True in Korn shell, but in bash, the xterm window stays. In fact,
in bash, an xterm window stays even without the nohup.
I *thought* I had once fixed this problem by writing a small script called
xnohup that begins with
trap '' HUP
And then proceeds to run the command in $1. Although I am almost positive that
this once worked while the system nohup didn't, now neither my xnohup nor the
system nohup work. Work in the sense that I can log out of the controlling tty
without losing the xterm window.
Any idea why? And how to fix it?
What I really want is to rsh to a host and run xterm there with display back
to some X server. THen kill the controlling tty. Why? Because the controlling
tty is often a telnet from an X terminal, which counts against the log in
limit on my machine, while rsh xterm doesn't count against that limit.
System is IBM RS/6000, AIX 3.2.3, X11R5.
Email replies preferred.
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
2. kernel driver initialization calls during boot?
3. When is NOHUP not NOHUP?
4. ViewTop AGP Mars2
5. to nohup or not to nohup - that is the question
6. Is it possible to UUTO or UUCP to different servers on the internet?
7. nohup not generating/updating nohup.out from cron
8. Setup X-Terminal on Windows System
9. nohup does not work with 'make' on SuSE 7.1
10. nohup not working properly on SCO R5??
11. nohup not working
12. NOHUP command not working
13. nohup not working correctly