cron; protecting files

Post by Adam Bend » Sun, 04 Aug 1996 04:00:00

I'm pretty new to this; I hope I have the right group.
Anyways, how do I start a cron job?  I checked the manual, and it says I
have to edit a crontab, and not only do I have no idea what that means,
I can't use Pico to do it (I told you I was new, I can't use vi).  What I
want to do is get a message (e-mail is fine) every Friday to remind me to
post some files to a newsgroup, because I often forget.
Also, how do I protect files from being accidentaly rm'ed or mv'ed over?
I looked into chmod, but that didn't seem to work...
Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam

cron; protecting files

Post by Rich K » Sun, 04 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm pretty new to this; I hope I have the right group.
>Anyways, how do I start a cron job?  I checked the manual, and it says I
>have to edit a crontab, and not only do I have no idea what that means,
>I can't use Pico to do it (I told you I was new, I can't use vi).  What I
>want to do is get a message (e-mail is fine) every Friday to remind me to
>post some files to a newsgroup, because I often forget.
>Also, how do I protect files from being accidentaly rm'ed or mv'ed over?
>I looked into chmod, but that didn't seem to work...
>Any help is much appreciated.

>Thanks,

>Adam

 as far as rm and mv; backup, backup, and backup.

 also read a unix manual.

 do you have crontab permission?

 richk

1. cron.deny and cron.allow files for CRON management

Hi All

I  can not  seem to be able to  make these files  work. Despite  an
entry  in  cron.deny  file,  the  specific user  can use
the crontab  command  to  submit  a  job  to  cron and  the  job
does  gets  executed.
Crontab  command  is  supposed  to check  entries  in these  files.
Ido not think  this is  happening.

Any  idea  will  be  greatly  appreciated.
Please  send  me an e-mail.

Thanks

2. Performance issues - Gnome via SSH

3. Why doesn't cron run the lp cron file?

4. PXE errors

5. cron.allow and cron.deny files

6. SGI sproc() port to Linux

7. A confusion about IA32 protected mode protecting kernel data.

8. IDE tape setup suddenly quits working. Why?

9. How to right protect a file

10. Is it possible to protect files from erasing from network?

11. password protecting ind. files?

12. unzipping password protected zip file

13. prompt for password on protected file