Question about Sun 3/60

Post by Awaki » Thu, 09 Feb 1995 15:27:33

        I have some questions about the sun 3/60 and the opperating
system sunos 4.0
        first If i want to upgrade the operating system to sunos 4.1.1
what is the diffrence between 4.0 and 4.1.1
        second will I be able to run xwin or motif on sunos 4.0 with 16
meg of ram?
        How can i create new users and delete old ones?
        Is it possible to run an alternate operating system on sun 3/60
example AT&T unix/mach?

        well if you answere these questions ill be very greatfull...
Some history about me I got 5 sun 3/60 bought them 2 days ago from a Repo
store i got the 5 workstations 5 mono 20" monitors keybords mouse hard
drive tape back up for less then $700 and now im trying to sort them out....
thanks again ill be posting a lot of other questions im sure.......

                Viken

1. Sun display flickering on SunBlade 2000 and Sun Ultra 60 Stations

Hi!

Some of you may have already encourtered the following problem :

on my SunBlade 2000 and SunUltra 60 workstations, equiped with
20" CRT displays, I experience sporadic vibrations of the whole
image on the screen. The vibrations consist in horizontal
deviations of the odd lines relatively to the even lines.

For examples, and 6 x 6 pixel area of the screen that should
look like :

aaaaaa
bbbbbb
aaaaaa
bbbbbb
aaaaaa
bbbbbb

(where "a" represents a pixel on an odd screen line and "b"
an pixel on an even one)

rapidly (with a > 10 Hz frequency) varies between :

 aaaaaa
bbbbbb
 aaaaaa
bbbbbb
 aaaaaa
bbbbbb

and

aaaaaa
 bbbbbb
aaaaaa
 bbbbbb
aaaaaa
 bbbbbb

I would like to insist on the fact that this problem happens
on the whole screen at a time (the 6x6 example was just to save space
on this message).

By trial and error, I discovered that I could reproduce this
flickering by writing a simple program that allocates chuncks
of memory of a fixed size. An implementation in pseudo-C would be :

while (1)
    malloc(1000 * sizeof(float));

When I launch that program, the flickering really prevents
anyone from working on the machine, as the amplitude of the
horizontal bias from the two extreme positions shown above
nearly reaches 1 millimeter.

I have launched my program on several Sun Ultra 60 stations,
and this problem is perfectly reproductible.

So, I would like to know if some of you have already been
through this, and if you found an explanation. Sun would
not admit that it's a bug of their motherboards. But I would
think it is.

Thank you for your answers !

Jery P.

2. getpgid() won't work in g++!

3. NetBSD on Sun 3/80 locking up (Re: Sun 3/60)

4. Locks

5. SUN 3/60 questions...

6. Best Ultra SCSI Card for server?

7. SCSI Ultra 320 HDD on Sun Ultra 60

8. problem using -g with gcc263

9. REPOST: What is a Sun 3/60?

10. Sun 3/60 X-Terminal From Linux?? Possible??

11. Diskless booting of SUN 3/60...

12. LINUX & SUN 3/60's

13. X-Windows on SUN 3/60