df reports negative availabilty

Post by Anthony Wolf » Sun, 26 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I recently installed NetBSD 1.4.1. I made 5 partitions: /,/usr,/var/tmp &
swap. On my initial boot into single user, df reports negative availability
on all but root and swap.  More specifically it reports 111% usage on
/usr,/var & /tmp. I tried to "tunefs -o space -m 10 /tmp" after unmounting
but it didn't help.  Needless to say I'm a newbie and any help offered would
be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tony

Post by Niels de Troy » Thu, 30 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> I recently installed NetBSD 1.4.1. I made 5 partitions: /,/usr,/var/tmp &
> swap. On my initial boot into single user, df reports negative availability
> on all but root and swap.  More specifically it reports 111% usage on
> /usr,/var & /tmp. I tried to "tunefs -o space -m 10 /tmp" after unmounting
> but it didn't help.  Needless to say I'm a newbie and any help offered would
> be appreciated.

> Thanks,
> Tony

111% means that you have set your minfree to 10%, but the whole filesystem
space, including the 10% minfree, is used.
Say your FS is 100MB and you have 10% free. Then
100% full = 90 MB is used
99MB used = 110% (90MB + 10% of 90MB)
100MB used is then 111% used (90MB + 11% of 90MB)

You should see different numbers if you use tunefs -m 1

Niels de Troye
Sysman Automatisering B.V. / Sysman Software B.V.
Tel: +31-20-441 85 85

Looking for a web-based graphical performance tool?

   http://www.sysman.nl/perfgraph

1. df reports negative availability

I recently installed NetBSD 1.4.1. I made 5 partitions: /,/usr,/var/tmp &
swap. On my initial boot into single user, df reports negative availability
on all but root and swap.  More specifically it reports 111% usage on
/usr,/var & /tmp. I tried to "tunefs -o space -m 10 /tmp" after unmounting
but it didn't help.  Needless to say I'm a newbie and any help offered would
be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tony

2. ALI 15X3 DMA Freeze

3. df not reporting root filesystem usage (but is reporting mounted dos drives)

4. UML - part 2 of 3

5. Negative df results

6. Problem with AIC-7890 SCSI controller

7. Negative blocks available from df

8. FTP server behind BSD 4.2

9. SVMON reporting negative memory in use

10. accounting reports with negative values?

11. df incorrectly reports 100% usage after power down

12. df reports disk 100% in use

13. 5.7 'df' on first partition reporting the entire disk?