HELP! No mail account (?)

Post by Espen Lyngaa » Tue, 29 Aug 1995 04:00:00

We have this SunOS 4.1.3 machine that has suddenly began to nag
about two things. I would _really_ like to find out why.

The first was discovered when using sendmail from a Perl script
via a HTML document (which had worked fine for a long time)

This is the error message (when trying to run sendmail):

"My host name (hell) does not seem to exist!
Aug 28 15:09:44 hell sendmail[244]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): My
host name (hell) does not seem to exist!"

The other thing is that I'm no longer able to ping using names
(except the names in /etc/hosts).Ie. it does not perform a
proper DNS lookup.

Could someone _please_ give me just a _hint_ on where to start
searching for clues to the problem ?

Oh-every other machine on the same network does beautiful DNS
lookups using the same DNS addresses.

Espen Lyngaas                  On-line Systems Technician
Team17 Software Ltd.   The Games Room    On-line Division

           Company URL: http://www.team17.com
     - Intelligent people need intelligent food -
                ..sorry - I'm norwegian!

HELP! No mail account (?)

Post by Timothy J. Luom » Tue, 29 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

> The other thing is that I'm no longer able to ping using names
> (except the names in /etc/hosts).Ie. it does not perform a
> proper DNS lookup.

> Could someone _please_ give me just a _hint_ on where to start
> searching for clues to the problem ?

check the files in /

just kidding.

You might want to check /etc/resolv.conf and compare that with another
machine which is working.

just a thought.
TjL
--

MIME, and NeXTMail OK              Another convert to the Z-Shell
"If I  understood the man page, I wouldn't have asked the question."

HELP! No mail account (?)

Post by Ravi Channavajha » Wed, 30 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>The other thing is that I'm no longer able to ping using names
>(except the names in /etc/hosts).Ie. it does not perform a
>proper DNS lookup.

>Could someone _please_ give me just a _hint_ on where to start
>searching for clues to the problem ?

>Oh-every other machine on the same network does beautiful DNS
>lookups using the same DNS addresses.

Seems like a problem with the cache file 'root.cache'.  I've had a
similar problem recently (not exactly the same error though) and the
syslog clearly indicated that it is unable to find the cache file.
I mistakenly moved it to a different directory.

All I had to do was rebuild the cache file and kick the named deamon
again and lo and behold it was magic.

The files you need to look at are /etc/named.boot
                                 ( check the path for cache )
                                  /etc/domain/root.cache

Well if the named is not running you can't ping, nslookup, traceroute
etcetra by aliases.  I'd bet if you ping a host by its IP address it
will work, assuming the named is kicking and alive.

I'm not sure if this helps or not but I thought I'd share anyway.

Ravi C.

1. Help: What is best NOS/platform for Oracle?

I am in the process of replacing our company's accounting, manufacturing,
and distribution software with an Oracle7 based package that is written
entirely in Developer/Designer 2000.  I am trying to determine which network
operating system and hardware platform we should run on.  We currently have
about 100 users on a Novell 3.12 running on a Compaq Proliant 1500 server.

We know we must buy an additional server but don't have experience with
anything but Compaq.  As for NOS, I've heard NT is slow but easy to
configure and manage.  I've heard UNIX is fast but cumbersome to manage.
Novell may get eaten by Microsoft.  I would like to hear other's opinions
who have used Oracle on various platforms and NOS.

We are growing very rapidly.  I may have 200 users in a year or two.  May
also need to link to another warehouse/office location soon.  I don't want
upgradeability.

Any advice/opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Kevin Arnold
Director of Operations
Colorbok Paper Products, Inc.

2. SHAREWARE: pdfcard 1.1

3. Help: Fetching all mail for a domain from one pop account on ISP

4. Porting Apollo GPR library to X

5. newbie-->help !!! mail accounting

6. Star Office 5.2 not run ...

7. HELP retrieving mail from ISP - shell accounts

8. copying a binary file

9. HELP!!!!!! ppp and mail accounts

10. HELP; User name under Sun longer than 8 characters to use as mail account??

11. help with webmin and setting up a mail account

12. Help with receiving mail from a POP account