Erasing sw - stupid qs

Post by rubedo swiss versi » Tue, 08 Jan 2002 05:10:24

Hi to everyone!
I'm a new unix-user (well, I don't know if it's correct to write this:
I'm using Darwin on Mac OsX). I have a stupid question for the ng: how
can I delete software from Unix? I know, more or less, how to use the
command rm, but does it delete just files or also software?

Tnx
rubedo

Erasing sw - stupid qs

Post by Bill Marcu » Tue, 08 Jan 2002 05:58:39

Quote:>Hi to everyone!
>I'm a new unix-user (well, I don't know if it's correct to write this:
>I'm using Darwin on Mac OsX). I have a stupid question for the ng: how
>can I delete software from Unix? I know, more or less, how to use the
>command rm, but does it delete just files or also software?

Software is files that have execute permission.  You can delete any file if
you
have write permission for the directory in which it is located.

Erasing sw - stupid qs

Post by Erik Max Franci » Tue, 08 Jan 2002 06:08:53

> I'm a new unix-user (well, I don't know if it's correct to write this:
> I'm using Darwin on Mac OsX). I have a stupid question for the ng: how
> can I delete software from Unix? I know, more or less, how to use the
> command rm, but does it delete just files or also software?

Software consists of files.

/  \ Laws are silent in time of war.
\__/ Cicero
    Esperanto reference / http://www.alcyone.com/max/lang/esperanto/
 An Esperanto reference for English speakers.

Erasing sw - stupid qs

Post by rubedo swiss versi » Tue, 08 Jan 2002 06:27:05

> You can delete any file if you
> have write permission for the directory in which it is located.

I have the permission, so this part is fine.
And, if sw consists of file, that means I can use rm, right?

thanx a lot!

1. Stupid, stupid, stupid...

Hi All,

<hangs head in shame>

I've downloaded the latest patchpro from sun, and like a stupid idiot
didn't read the instructions and installed the packages using

pkgadd -d /export/home/luser/pproSunOSx865.9re2.2

this listed 11 packages, and I blindly installed them all. Now when I
installed patchpro using the setup script it install but doesn't run
properly.

Is there a way roll back these packages that I have installed, and if I
take a note of them, will it put the system back the way it was before,
or has this overwritten some previous versions files.

I have uninstalled patchpro using the uninstall script BTW.

Needless to say, this is not a production server!
Many thanks in advance,

P.

2. Keeping track of various users

3. Stupid, stupid, stupid! FAT access rights...

4. TAR - Restore speed problem

5. stupid stupid stupid

6. SCO VDM with DPT2122 - HELP!

7. Does tctl erase really erase the tape

8. Help Setting Up Novell/Anthem Network Cards

9. Change "stty erase ^?" for "stty erase ^H"

10. PC HARDWARE VENDOR REVIEW: SW Technology (a.k.a. SW Trading Company)

11. Changes in: PC HARDWARE VENDOR REVIEW: SW Technology (a.k.a. SW Trading Company)

12. PC HARDWARE VENDOR REVIEW: SW Technology (a.k.a. SW Trading Company)

13. Stupid or not so stupid questions