Connect to NT Share from Unix

Post by DeWitte & Jamie Wils » Wed, 31 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I've found several articles explaining how to connect to a Unix server
from NT (using Samba).  I have a unique opportunity where I need to
connect a Unix (SCO) system to an NT share.  Is this possible?  I need
to use a very large Unidata database, but don't have enough Unix disk
space.  I do have plenty of NT space, however.

Any help appreciated!

...dewitte

Connect to NT Share from Unix

Post by C.T.Nadovi » Wed, 31 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I've found several articles explaining how to connect to a Unix server
>from NT (using Samba).  I have a unique opportunity where I need to
>connect a Unix (SCO) system to an NT share.  Is this possible?  I need
>to use a very large Unidata database, but don't have enough Unix disk
>space.  I do have plenty of NT space, however.

Ummmm.... can you run NFS on the NT box (analogous to running samba on a
unix box)?
--
Chris Nadovich
http://www.jtan.com/chris

Post by Dan Merc » Wed, 31 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>>I've found several articles explaining how to connect to a Unix server
>>from NT (using Samba).  I have a unique opportunity where I need to
>>connect a Unix (SCO) system to an NT share.  Is this possible?  I need
>>to use a very large Unidata database, but don't have enough Unix disk
>>space.  I do have plenty of NT space, however.

> Ummmm.... can you run NFS on the NT box (analogous to running samba on a
> unix box)?
> --
> Chris Nadovich
> http://www.jtan.com/chris
> 73 de KD3BJ ..

Run NFS on NT to share its files with UNIX.  Or run Sharity on UNIX
to access files on NT as if they were on an NFS share.  If you
have 1 UNIX and many NT's,  then Sharity is both cheaper and easier
since nothing has to be installed on the PC's besides sharing
their disks.  If you have fewer NT's than UNIX's,  NFS might prove
cheaper,  though I kind of doubt it.  Sharity's pretty reasonably priced.

http://www.objectived.co.at/Products/Sharity.html

--
Dan Mercer

Connect to NT Share from Unix

Post by Suds » Wed, 31 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Samba is not just a server but a client as well. Check the man page
for smbclient to learn how to "mount" SMB drives on your UNIX
box. It's a sweet suite, IMHO.

Post by Ernesto Hernández-Novic » Wed, 31 Mar 1999 04:00:00

: I've found several articles explaining how to connect to a Unix server
: from NT (using Samba).  I have a unique opportunity where I need to
: connect a Unix (SCO) system to an NT share.  Is this possible?  I need
: to use a very large Unidata database, but don't have enough Unix disk
: space.  I do have plenty of NT space, however.

Go ahead and try Samba, it will do the job for you.
Running Samba on a Unix server makes it appear as an SMB server,
thus any Windows 9x/NT box can map a drive to whatever you have exported
on the Unix box, i.e. map drive X: on Windows to /home/public on Unix.

According to your description, what you want is to mount an NT share on
a Unix box. AFAIK, you can only do this using the smbfs filesystem provided
by Linux, i.e. you have a share in \\NT\SOMEFILES and you use "smbmount"
(utility that comes with smbfs on Linux) to moun \\NT\SOMEFILES in, say,
/home/ntfiles.

Check out http://samba.anu.edu.au/samba for more information.
--

Just another Unix/Perl/Java hacker.
One thing is to be the best, and another is to be the most popular.

Post by Roope Anttine » Thu, 01 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I've found several articles explaining how to connect to a Unix server
> from NT (using Samba).  I have a unique opportunity where I need to
> connect a Unix (SCO) system to an NT share.  Is this possible?  I need
> to use a very large Unidata database, but don't have enough Unix disk
> space.  I do have plenty of NT space, however.

In samba-2.x series there's an utility to do that - mount SMB shares to UNIX.
Don't remember the name though as I haven't had any need for it (Linux has
SMBFS support in kernel).

Roope

--
MicroSoft? is that some kind of a toilet paper?
PS: Look for address here, not from headers. And remove NOSPAM's

        +358 9 812 7567  /  +358 500 445 565  /  +358 49 445 565
                http://myy.helia.fi/~anttiner/index.html
   Helsinki Business Polytechnic - Institute of information technology

1. NT NT NT NT NT NT NT MT

Why is everyone comparing whatever operating system with NT?

*     / - -                           /-----/ /                          *
*    /____  /   / /----/ /----/      /       /     /----/ /---/ /----/   *
*        / / / / /----/ /----/      /       /---/ /----/ /   / /----/    *
*   ___ / /_/_/ /____  /____       /_____/ /   / /____  /   /  ____/     *

---
 t MR/2 t

2. Programming with Linux is *easy*!

3. Help with connecting Linux, 95/NT, Macs for file sharing

4. variables in regular expressions using awk

5. Help with SMB connecting to NT shared disk

6. uucp on 5.04Eb

7. How to connect to NT share drive using smbclient?

8. arp question - "arp who-has" problem

9. Trouble connecting to Shares on a Samba Server from a NT-Box

10. Connecting Linux and NT together through hub while sharing DSL?

11. Connecting a NT share using Sharity Light problem.

12. Connecting to NT share

13. rise in market share of unix over nt