Cron Table Setup

Post by Eugene Polonsk » Fri, 03 Mar 2000 04:00:00

We have a Unix user set up to run Oracle.
The user ".profile" file has necessary environment variables to point
to Oracle installation. But when running user's script from cron
table, the script doesn't see these variables and can't find Oracle.
The same script runs fine when submitted "manually".

Please advise if there is any way I can make cron see variable in
".profile".

Unix version: Digital Unix v 4.0F.
Thank you

Cron Table Setup

Post by Steven Buehrl » Sat, 04 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> We have a Unix user set up to run Oracle.
> The user ".profile" file has necessary environment variables to point
> to Oracle installation. But when running user's script from cron
> table, the script doesn't see these variables and can't find Oracle.
> The same script runs fine when submitted "manually".
> Please advise if there is any way I can make cron see variable in
> ".profile".
> Unix version: Digital Unix v 4.0F.
> Thank you

No. There is no way to make cron see your users environment variables.
You need to set the variables in your script, or source in the .profile
in your script. If you decide to source in the .profile, you need to be
aware that your not attatched to a tty so if you have any stty commands
in the .profile, your going to get error messages when the cron job runs.

Cron Table Setup

Post by Avi Abram » Mon, 06 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> We have a Unix user set up to run Oracle.
> The user ".profile" file has necessary environment variables to point
> to Oracle installation. But when running user's script from cron
> table, the script doesn't see these variables and can't find Oracle.
> The same script runs fine when submitted "manually".

> Please advise if there is any way I can make cron see variable in
> ".profile".

> Unix version: Digital Unix v 4.0F.
> Thank you

Hi Eugene,
It would appear that "cron" does not source the 'Oracle' user's
".profile". I can suggest two options:
1. In the command line - in the "crontab" file - explicitly source
   the ".profile", or
2. Set the required environment variables explicitly in the script
   being executed by "cron".

HTH,
Avi.

--
  /\ \    /| Avi Abrami, Analyst/Programmer, Terayon Comms

/    \ \/  | http://www.terayon.com

Cron Table Setup

Post by stick » Wed, 15 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> > We have a Unix user set up to run Oracle.
> > The user ".profile" file has necessary environment variables to point
> > to Oracle installation. But when running user's script from cron
> > table, the script doesn't see these variables and can't find Oracle.
> > The same script runs fine when submitted "manually".

> > Please advise if there is any way I can make cron see variable in
> > ".profile".

> > Unix version: Digital Unix v 4.0F.
> > Thank you

> Hi Eugene,
> It would appear that "cron" does not source the 'Oracle' user's
> ".profile". I can suggest two options:
> 1. In the command line - in the "crontab" file - explicitly source
>    the ".profile", or
> 2. Set the required environment variables explicitly in the script
>    being executed by "cron".

> HTH,
> Avi.

> --
>   /\ \    /| Avi Abrami, Analyst/Programmer, Terayon Comms

> /    \ \/  | http://www.terayon.com

Why don't you su - <user>; <script> in the crontab?

ar.

1. cron.deny and cron.allow files for CRON management

Hi All

I  can not  seem to be able to  make these files  work. Despite  an
entry  in  cron.deny  file,  the  specific user  can use
the crontab  command  to  submit  a  job  to  cron and  the  job
does  gets  executed.
Crontab  command  is  supposed  to check  entries  in these  files.
Ido not think  this is  happening.

Any  idea  will  be  greatly  appreciated.
Please  send  me an e-mail.

Thanks

2. How to "clean up" after installing the new kernel (system map, module dependencies, etc.)

3. where are process-table, region-table, inode-table?

4. Help: Can't get WorkMan to Work (man).

5. C programming Error : Assertion failed: table->edgeH == VL_EDGE_NO_WRITE || table->edgeH == VL_EDGE_ZERO_FILL || table ?

6. gaim 0.59 -> 0.63 (rpm dependencies)

7. vixie-cron-2.1 fills process table

8. What does "mt erase" exactly do?

9. Environment for Cron Table

10. How do you setup cron logging?

11. How to setup cron jobs

12. How do I setup the cron jobs for a nightly backup?

13. How do I setup & use the cron files?