easy easy question

Post by Paul » Tue, 21 Nov 2000 04:00:00

ok so I am a student.. appologies to everyone but I am sure you have all
been in my situation

Help I know nothing about UNIX .. but at least this is the one and only
question on UNIX!  So go give a guy a break and put me out of my misery....
i have gone through the manuel (man commands ) and am getting annoyed as its
only the first question.

a) Given a person's username, on UNIX, how would you find out their real
name? [3 marks]

thanks very much!

Paul

easy easy question

Post by Mark Ellze » Tue, 21 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Paul,

man finger

Mark

> ok so I am a student.. appologies to everyone but I am sure you have all
> been in my situation

> Help I know nothing about UNIX .. but at least this is the one and only
> question on UNIX!  So go give a guy a break and put me out of my misery....
> i have gone through the manuel (man commands ) and am getting annoyed as its
> only the first question.

> a) Given a person's username, on UNIX, how would you find out their real
> name? [3 marks]

> thanks very much!

> Paul

easy easy question

Post by Paul » Tue, 21 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Thanks for that.. ........

> Paul,

> man finger

> Mark

> > ok so I am a student.. appologies to everyone but I am sure you have all
> > been in my situation

> > Help I know nothing about UNIX .. but at least this is the one and only
> > question on UNIX!  So go give a guy a break and put me out of my
misery....
> > i have gone through the manuel (man commands ) and am getting annoyed as
its
> > only the first question.

> > a) Given a person's username, on UNIX, how would you find out their real
> > name? [3 marks]

> > thanks very much!

> > Paul

easy easy question

Post by John Doher » Wed, 22 Nov 2000 04:00:00

| ok so I am a student.. appologies to everyone but I am sure you have all
| been in my situation
|

| Help I know nothing about UNIX .. but at least this is the one and only
| question on UNIX!  So go give a guy a break and put me out of my misery....
| i have gone through the manuel (man commands ) and am getting annoyed as its
| only the first question.
|
| a) Given a person's username, on UNIX, how would you find out their real
| name? [3 marks]

There isn't a guaranteed way, but on most systems, the user's real name
is in the fifth field of the user's entry in /etc/passwd.