need help print to NT based network printer

need help print to NT based network printer

Post by jim » Fri, 13 Apr 2001 02:27:54

Hi all,

Our school has a NT based network print server, which uses jetdriect. It
has tcp/ip printing on. We used to be able to print from solaris 8
workstations to the printers connected with the server using lp -d.  But now
it stopped working for no reasons. When a print job is sent to the server,
it was spooled in NT server, but the print never came out.  The NT machines
are still able to print.  We use DHCP.  We tried to stop and restart the
TCP/IP printing on
server but that didn't help.

I wonder if anybody can give me a clue on how to begin trouble shooting the
problem.  It seems to me it is on NT server side. But I have little
experience with NT.  Any advice will be apprecitaed.

Jim Guo

Post by Chuck Dillo » Fri, 13 Apr 2001 05:11:04

> Hi all,

> Our school has a NT based network print server, which uses jetdriect. It
> has tcp/ip printing on. We used to be able to print from solaris 8
> workstations to the printers connected with the server using lp -d.  But now
> it stopped working for no reasons. When a print job is sent to the server,
> it was spooled in NT server, but the print never came out.  The NT machines
> are still able to print.  We use DHCP.  We tried to stop and restart the
> TCP/IP printing on
> server but that didn't help.

> I wonder if anybody can give me a clue on how to begin trouble shooting the
> problem.  It seems to me it is on NT server side. But I have little
> experience with NT.  Any advice will be apprecitaed.

> Jim Guo

If the print job makes it to the NT box and disappears from the Solaris box
then the Solaris setup is working as intended.  As far as Solaris is concerned
your print job was successful.

It appears your problem is on the NT side and as such should be directed
to an NT related group.  The only suggestion I'll offer is that you direct
the printer device on the NT box to write to file and see if you job gets
to the file.  If it does I would suspect that the problem is that your
printer doesn't understand the content.  For example, printing something
other than postscript to a postscript printer will usually result in
a deafening silence.

-- ced

--
Chuck Dillon
Senior Software Engineer

need help print to NT based network printer

Post by Geoff Reade » Fri, 13 Apr 2001 21:18:56

Another thing you should be able to do is print directly to teh
JetDirect Printer from your Solaris box.  I think you should be able to
get a copy of Jetyadmin from HP's website, if its not already installed
on your server.

This will have the advantage of helping make printing more robust, as it
cuts your NT server out of teh picture altogether.  Thats what Jetdirect
cards are there to do,  manage their own print queues.

Chances are if its a JetDirect printer it'll be HP or HP compatible so
it should handle text and PCL print jobs.

Geoff

> Hi all,

> Our school has a NT based network print server, which uses jetdriect. It
> has tcp/ip printing on. We used to be able to print from solaris 8
> workstations to the printers connected with the server using lp -d.  But now
> it stopped working for no reasons. When a print job is sent to the server,
> it was spooled in NT server, but the print never came out.  The NT machines
> are still able to print.  We use DHCP.  We tried to stop and restart the
> TCP/IP printing on
> server but that didn't help.

> I wonder if anybody can give me a clue on how to begin trouble shooting the
> problem.  It seems to me it is on NT server side. But I have little
> experience with NT.  Any advice will be apprecitaed.

> Jim Guo

1. Printing to an NT-based printer

I am trying to hook my Linux computer onto the lab's NT-network, which
features two gorgeous and superfast PostScript printers. I really have
little ideas on how to do this. Following the advice of the Slackware
Printing-HOWTO, I looked for (and found) the Samba package, but that
seems to do it the wrong way: it assumes the printer is on the Linux
box, _not_ the NT-server!

Can anyone please help me on this one? (Or at least give me some hints
on how to proceed from this point?)

Regards,
Maarten

2. problems with running startx - thoughts?

3. Newbie needs help printing to network printer

4. Xstation Weird Windows

5. Linux print -> HP network-based printer(TCP/IP) ?

6. Green POWER in linux

7. Printing from SOLARIS on WIN NT 3.51 Network HPLJ4P Printer

8. Running X using Gateway EV500 monitor

9. Printing from SCO to NT/IP networked printer

10. Printing to Unix Printer from NT network & IBM 3151 Question

11. Print from Solaris to a network printer controlled by NT 4.0 server

12. Help NetWork Printing to a Printer with a NetWork Card

13. Printing from Solaris on NT network printer