dos to UNIX question

Post by Niels K. Handes » Sat, 20 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> greetings,
> i need to upload dos files from my pc to my unix server. they are flat
> files outputed from
> foxpro SDF type, and i have simply been splitting them first so they
> will fit on a 1.44
> floppy and then using the UNIX doscp command to upload them. however, my
> files
> now are growing to 25-50 meg and i would like to find an easier way to
> upload from DOS to UNIX and back. my only tool is a 33.6k modem on each
> machine. the unix
> server has "Blast" pro. is this the program i need?
> thank you in advance for any assistance.

Why not use FTP?

--
        - Niels

====================
Niels K. Handest

dos to UNIX question

Post by Dean » Sat, 20 Feb 1999 04:00:00

If I remember correctly Blast Pro did not establish a ppp connection therefor
ftp is out. But to add my one cent If the Unix Sever is running blast then you
can get blast for you dos box, Blast can do all you filetransfers if you want.
But I would really look at eliminating Blast and go with a ppp connection. If
you have blast on your pc and don't know how to do the blast filetransfer then
let me know I did this *awhile back and should still have some blast
scripts that might help.

Dean

> > greetings,
> > i need to upload dos files from my pc to my unix server. they are flat
> > files outputed from
> > foxpro SDF type, and i have simply been splitting them first so they
> > will fit on a 1.44
> > floppy and then using the UNIX doscp command to upload them. however, my
> > files
> > now are growing to 25-50 meg and i would like to find an easier way to
> > upload from DOS to UNIX and back. my only tool is a 33.6k modem on each
> > machine. the unix
> > server has "Blast" pro. is this the program i need?
> > thank you in advance for any assistance.

> Why not use FTP?

> --
>         - Niels

> ====================
> Niels K. Handest

dos to UNIX question

Post by Frank J. Perricon » Sat, 20 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>> greetings,
>> i need to upload dos files from my pc to my unix server. they are flat
>> files outputed from
>> foxpro SDF type, and i have simply been splitting them first so they
>> will fit on a 1.44
>> floppy and then using the UNIX doscp command to upload them. however, my
>> files
>> now are growing to 25-50 meg and i would like to find an easier way to
>> upload from DOS to UNIX and back. my only tool is a 33.6k modem on each
>> machine. the unix
>> server has "Blast" pro. is this the program i need?
>> thank you in advance for any assistance.

>Why not use FTP?

Maybe because the only tool he has is a 33.6k modem on each machine, and
not, therefore, a network?

Blast Professional will do the job if you have it on both machines.  There
are versions for many flavors of Unix.  There are also many other programs
that'll do it.  For instance, you can do Kermit on either end using
freeware, or simply connect by modem to a terminal session using a terminal
program that supports XModem or ZModem, then use that and the "sz" command.

--

MIS Manager                                               802-828-4926
Vermont Department of Liquor Control                 Fax: 802-828-2803

1. dos to UNIX question

greetings,
i need to upload dos files from my pc to my unix server. they are flat
files outputed from
foxpro SDF type, and i have simply been splitting them first so they
will fit on a 1.44
floppy and then using the UNIX doscp command to upload them. however, my
files
now are growing to 25-50 meg and i would like to find an easier way to
upload from DOS to UNIX and back. my only tool is a 33.6k modem on each
machine. the unix
server has "Blast" pro. is this the program i need?
thank you in advance for any assistance.
regards
mike m

--
     \\\|///
   \\  - -  // ... S.O.M.F

+-oOOo-( )-oOOo----------------------------------------------+
   Web Site: http://www.bitstorm.net/nightowl/INDEX.HTML

+---------Oooo-----------------------------------------------+
  oooO   (   )
  (   )   ) /   Hurcs '74-'76
   \ {   (_/
    \_)

2. users can't read mail

3. Basic DOS->Unix Questions

4. how to associate a file type with a command

5. EXCHANGING OPTICAL DISKS : DOS to UNIX / UNIX to DOS

6. ATI AIW 7500 TV out resolution

7. Communications - Unix to Unix vs Unix to DOS

8. How do gcc(linux) compiled executables compare to QuickC derived ones?

9. accessing dos partitions with wd7000fasst scsi, isc unix 2.2, dos[345]

10. copying files from unix to dos system in dos readable format

11. DOS versus UNIX sed question on special characters

12. UNIX/DOS question

13. Connection between SCO Unix & DOS - Another Question