Software Installation Question

Post by Jerry Gaha » Sun, 02 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Can anyone direct me to online information on installing software packages
i.e. source & binaries, and using configure and pkgadd etc.
thanks
Jerry

Software Installation Question

Post by Scott Sanbe » Mon, 03 Jan 2000 04:00:00

What OS are you using?
Scott

Quote:> Can anyone direct me to online information on installing software packages

Post by Christopher J. Matter » Tue, 04 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> Can anyone direct me to online information on installing software packages
> i.e. source & binaries, and using configure and pkgadd etc.
> thanks

Not without knowing what Unix you're using, since they all do it
in completely different manners.

                          Chris Mattern

1. Software Installation Question

I'm fairly new to Linux and I've got a question about installing
software.  I download software to my /home directory.  Do I extract here
so that it can be compiled or do I place either the .gz or the.tar file
somewhere else before compiling.  For instance, I downloaded GIMP 1.0.
The file I got was gimp.1.0.0.tar.gz and it was downloaded to my /home
directory.  Do I go ahead and extract it here and do the compile or do I
put it somewhere else?  If I can extract it here, how does it know where
to set itself up at?  Will it replace GIMP.0.99 or will there be two
versions on my PC?

Thanks in advance.

jeff self

2. network numbering, re-numbering question

3. Editing EGA/VGA Palette

4. newbie software installation question

5. PHP - database driven web development

6. Need: software installation software

7. Ftp mirror software ?

8. Question regarding Redhat 6.1 default installation exclusion of required software packages

9. software question - documentation on software?

10. Installation question: other questions

11. software installation

12. GNU software installation on Linux? How?