Win98 and Samba

Post by O El badaw » Tue, 12 Sep 2000 06:10:40

Hi,
I am connecting my PC (Toshiba laptop) to a Solaris machine running Samba.
I can see the network, I can access (read from and write to) shared
directories on
the UNIX machine (e.g., /tmp). However I am not able to access my home
directory
(on UNIX). I use the same username on both the Win98 and UNIX machines. I
disabled
the password encryption option in Win98 (As per a Microsoft Knowledge-base
article)
but I still get the "password incorrect" message. I am not asked for a
username when I click
on my UNIX home directory in Win98, only for a password.
Am I missing something here?
Thanks in advance
-OE

1. SAMBA - Win98 Machines and ICS through Win98 ok - no Windows network in linux

I've looked throught the messages and tried most - bottom line is that the
Linux machine keeps coming up with the message invalid user name or
password. I've got the same user name installed on the Win98 machine and the
linux machine. I have case set to insensitive. I set the registry in Win98
to enable plain text and the corresponding entry in the smb.conf file
(encrypted password=no). I added the statement nullpassword=yes to the
smb.conf file.

What do you have to do to see the windows machines??? BTW the linux machine
has no trouble using the Win98 ICS; dials on demand and all that; so the
network is working fine other than no ability to see the Windows 98
computers other than the windows drives on the dual boot machine I'm using.

webCOMBO - America's Free Internet Access Provider
http://www.webcombo.net

2. Do all DVD burners work with GNU/Linux?

3. Samba 2.0.5 on FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE - very very slow writing to Samba from win98

4. Modem

5. Samba question: Win98 workstation with a private IP can't see Samba

6. 2nd NIC ifconfig

7. Matrox Mystique ands X.

8. Has anyone gotten X to work with an ET6000?

9. Samba share behaving differently in Win2000 and Win98

10. print with SAMBA from Win98

11. samba and win98 problems

12. Samba - Win98 Network Speed Problems

13. Samba & Win98