nohup question...

Post by Q Modna » Fri, 04 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> Is it possible to open and close (just to change the date of a file) a file in a backgroundproces ?
> (with :   nohup script ?)
> (I want every couple of hours a file to be re-dated, but don't feel like open and close it everytime...)

I'm not sure what you mean by a nohup script. nohup allows you to run programs
even after you've logged out. So all you'll probably need is a script which
reads:

        #!/bin/sh
        start:

        # set filename to the current time
        touch filename

        #wait for 2 hours
        # Note check format of sleep on your system as it could differ
        sleep 3600
        goto start

where filename is the file you want to re-date. So if the script above is
called redate.sh then you could probably go
        nohup ./redate.sh
Don't forget to chmod +x the script.

1. nohup question

I wish to use nohup to generate a numerical database. So nohup is the
choice. Like this:
        nohup myprogram > nohup.out 2>&1 &
When I logout and login again to check, myprogram is not running
there.

Any one had similiar experience? It seems that nohup is not working as
intended.

Jinsong Zhao

2. ipnat and rdr

3. Nohup Question

4. DHCP and DNS setup

5. Nohup question

6. Setting up priviledges for machines/users

7. Trouble formatting drive

8. NOHUP Question

9. a nohup question?

10. nohup question