Ytalk HEEEELP!

Post by Yannis Bro » Tue, 07 Sep 1993 21:16:18

Ok..... you know that wonderful little talk program (the one with the menu
and multiple users?).... Well.... If your unix system doesn't have a
TALK-DAEMON...... HOW can you use it?..... I am reffering to The
University's unix system..... So logging on as root and creating a Talk
Daemon is definitely out of the question....

Thanks in Advance!

Ytalk HEEEELP!

Post by Mark Newt » Wed, 08 Sep 1993 23:17:57

>Ok..... you know that wonderful little talk program (the one with the menu
>and multiple users?).... Well.... If your unix system doesn't have a
>TALK-DAEMON...... HOW can you use it?..... I am reffering to The
>University's unix system..... So logging on as root and creating a Talk
>Daemon is definitely out of the question....

The problem isn't the non-existance of a talk daemon.  ytalk fails
to work on some systems because there are many versions of talkd
out there, and some of them are incompatible with talk clients.

Fortunately, there are also a few versions of ytalk out there.  Some
of them are patched to work with other talkd's.

   - mark

     but it hurt when I walked.                          Mark Newton
----- Voice: +61-8-3224071 --------------- Data: +61-8-3222915 -----

Ytalk HEEEELP!

Post by Opus » Fri, 10 Sep 1993 01:41:19

Quote:>The problem isn't the non-existance of a talk daemon.  ytalk fails
>to work on some systems because there are many versions of talkd
>out there, and some of them are incompatible with talk clients.

>Fortunately, there are also a few versions of ytalk out there.  Some
>of them are patched to work with other talkd's.

        ytalk3 was recently posted to comp.sources.unix (and
can be ftp'd from sites that archive the group, such as
wuarchive.wustl.edu:/usenet/comp.sources.unix/volume27/ytalk-3.0).
It is more compatible than version 2.

- Larry

1. Ytalk HEEEELP!

 -=> Quoting Yannis Brown to All <=-

 YB> Ok..... you know that wonderful little talk program (the one with the
 YB> menu and multiple users?).... Well.... If your unix system doesn't have
 YB> a TALK-DAEMON...... HOW can you use it?..... I am reffering to The
 YB> University's unix system..... So logging on as root and creating a
 YB> Talk Daemon is definitely out of the question....

 YB> Thanks in Advance!

Some Universities do not implement such a daemon because they
either don't care, don't know, or don't want it being used.
Sounds like you need to befriend a Sysadmin.

... Sincerely, Derek

2. /kernel: arp: 'foo' moved from 'bar' to 'baz' on 'whatever'

3. NCD terminal users! Heeeelp!

4. ignoretest

5. Bootparameters for LILO - AHA1510, HEEEELP!!!

6. a few 2.3 questions

7. HEEEELP - HP NetRAID-1 with RedHat 6.0

8. Network to Win95

9. HEEEELP! Image Capture

10. UNIX shell script of ftp download help, heeeelp!!!!!!!!

11. ip-masqueraing heeeelp please ;)

12. NCD terminal users! Heeeelp!

13. UX4 - Heeeelp :-)