RCS, how to have a common RCS directory?

RCS, how to have a common RCS directory?

Post by John Atwo » Fri, 17 Jun 1994 05:42:44

This should be a simple env var setting, or simple script, but I'm having
trouble with it, mainly because I don't really understand how RCS pairs
working files and RCS files.

I want to have a group of people checkin and out to the same /RCS directory;
but not have to type the entire path name.  I thought i'd just append the
/RCS path to argv and pass it on to co, and ci, but am running into problems
I i specify multiple filenames, also if I specify or fail to specify the ,v
suffix.  I'd like to be sure that parse.c and parse.c,v both get checked in
as parse.c,v.  I started doing a bunch of $argv[$n]:r  but it was getting to
messy.

I also looked at the RCSINIT env var, but didn't see how it would help.
Can someone straigten me out, or point me to a good reference?  I've read
the RCS-SCCS section of the faq, and chased down the papers on cvs
referenced there, but, again didn't get a satisfactory understanding.

Thanks,

John
Office phone: 503-737-5583 (Batcheller 349);home: 503-757-8772
Office mail:  303 Dearborn Hall, OSU, Corvallis, OR  97331

RCS, how to have a common RCS directory?

Post by Jack Morris » Sat, 18 Jun 1994 03:58:04

Quote:>This should be a simple env var setting, or simple script, but I'm having
>trouble with it, mainly because I don't really understand how RCS pairs
>working files and RCS files.

The ci man page explains this.

Quote:>I want to have a group of people checkin and out to the same /RCS directory;
>but not have to type the entire path name.

The way I do this is have each person create a link to the real RCS directory
in their work area.
---

Jack Morrison/Jet Propulsion Lab/MS107-102 4800 Oak Grove Dr, Pasadena CA 91109

1. How to make RCS work with shared RCS directory

Hello world,

I have the task to supervise a multiprogrammer project in the near
future. Therefore I would like to use rcs 5.6.0.1. I followed the
steps described in the manual pages to make ci and co setuid-programs
and made one new account for the RCS administration.

Now I would like to have one single RCS-directory and every user to
have his own development directory. My idea was, to put a symbolic
link from the shared RCS directory in every users development
directory (e.g. In ~user:DEVELOPMENT/ do "ln -s ~RCS_ADMIN/RCS RCS")
but RCS doesn't seem to be able to follow this symbolic link, because
a co with lock or a ci always gives a "Permission denied"-error. If I
name the RCS file explicitly on the command line (e.g.
"co -l file ~RCS_ADMIN/RCS/file,v") everything works fine.
If the user creates the RCS directory in his development directory and
then links the RCS files with "ln -s ~RCS_ADMIN/RCS/* RCS" also
everything works fine, but this would make it necessary to do the
command again and again everytime a new file is added to the project.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there any general solution *except*
writing a shell-wrapper around ci and co to pass the explicit RCS file
to the real ci and co programs?

Thanx
       Stefan

2. Using CVSup

3. trying to print out RCS's rcs.ms file

4. ISO-8859-1 keymap

5. + RCS + oops, I can't check-in after a rcs -u command

6. FTAPE and Conner 3200 tape drive w/2nd FDC

7. Announce: CS-RCS V2.0 -- Share RCS Files on UNIX and Windows

8. **** Linux & Colorado tape backup - help??? ****

9. ANNOUNCE: CS-RCS (Share common files on UNIX and Windows)

10. makedepend on an RCS controlled directory

11. RCS checkout file to a specific directory

12. References on: RCS/SCCS and (N)Curses???

13. RCS and getopt