need help in buying a 386 Unix

Post by Charles Carls » Fri, 20 Mar 1992 09:04:52

Hi...I've been trying to determine a good Unix to buy for my needs.
After talking to a few vendors and mail order places my head is now
throughly spinning.

First off:  Do I need a developers system?  All I'm really interested
in is compiling sources off of the net and some small time C coding
of my own little utilities, etc.  Not interested in developing for
X or other graphical environments, databases, etc.
I assume a C compiler is included with all base system Unices?
If not, there's GCC (which I'd install anyways) but are there libraries
with it as well?

Basically other than compiling net sources I want NFS(Server/clinet) and
TCP/IP capabilities which seem to be an extremely expensive add on, atleast
for SCO. (695+695!!!)

From what I can gather, there are a few free X window environments on the
net already, so is there any reason to pay extra for one?
I'm not interested in running graphic applications, but it would be nice
to have resizable shell windows with mouse support to move them around,
cut/paste etc.

Any idea what vendor I should check out?  I'd like to spend less than $900
for base system+TCP+NFS.  I'm a student so some place with an edu discount
might be nice as well.

Sorry if I sound so green...:)   Thank...Charles

--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
/ Charles Carlson                                                              \

/"Got an AK-47 for his best friend.  Business, the American way!" -Queensryche \

need help in buying a 386 Unix

Post by Drew Eckhar » Fri, 20 Mar 1992 18:47:46

Quote:>Hi...I've been trying to determine a good Unix to buy for my needs.
>After talking to a few vendors and mail order places my head is now
>throughly spinning.

>First off:  Do I need a developers system?  All I'm really interested
>in is compiling sources off of the net and some small time C coding
>of my own little utilities, etc.  Not interested in developing for
>X or other graphical environments, databases, etc.
>I assume a C compiler is included with all base system Unices?

Nope.

Quote:>If not, there's GCC (which I'd install anyways) but are there libraries
>with it as well?

Not with gcc. Not all Unixes have the libraries included.  While you can
replace MOST of the missing library with glibc.a, or bits and pieces from
various sources, there is still the unistd library that handles syscalls,
etc.

Quote:>Basically other than compiling net sources I want NFS(Server/clinet) and
>TCP/IP capabilities which seem to be an extremely expensive add on, atleast
>for SCO. (695+695!!!)
>From what I can gather, there are a few free X window environments on the
>net already, so is there any reason to pay extra for one?
>I'm not interested in running graphic applications, but it would be nice
>to have resizable shell windows with mouse support to move them around,
>cut/paste etc.

Yes, but you will probably build from source code.  I have almost
finished building X for our hp9000/300's and 400's running BSD,
and it took about 150 megs to build X, libraries, and MIT provided
clients.

Quote:>Any idea what vendor I should check out?  I'd like to spend less than $900
>for base system+TCP+NFS.  I'm a student so some place with an edu discount
>might be nice as well.

BSDI - it will sell for $1000 for everything, including networking, X,
full source, the gnu utilities in source / binary form, etc.  I've seen
the alpha system, and it was quite stable.  Beta tapes are shipping now,
with gamma to follow in June?

Also, before you actually buy anything you might take a look at both
386BSD and Linux, and wait until both are more stable and can be
evaluated better.  Both are free, and in some stage of testing.

386BSD is the less mature of the two - but it has networking support,
tape drivers,  and the Berkeley FFS, all of which Linux lacks.  On the
downside, ptrace() is not implemented, the kernel won't boot in some
systems, it won't coexist with anything else on the same drive,
etc.  Also, SCSI support is painfully lacking.

Linux works on most systems, has some degree of FPU emulation
(enough to use hardware floating point with GCC as long as the math
library supplies the transcendental functions, etc), virtual consoles,
shared libraries, and the generic SCSI driver package which makes
adding SCSI support for different host adapters trivial.
SCSI support for atleast CSC, Seagate, and Ultrastor
hosts should make the next release, with Adaptec, DTC, Future Domain,
and probably Always following sometime.  People are currently working
on X, VFS is being implemented to allow us to drop in "normal"
filesystems (ie FFS - currently, the Minix file system is used).
I immagine someone will get to networking, sometime  soon as
all the other fun projects have been taken.

1. NEEDED: pointers to ISC Unix/386 SysV R3.2.2

Hello netters,

I need to know where in the net I could find information regarding
Interactive Unix System 5 Release 3.2.2. A friend of mine runs it
at work and is finding some really weird bugs. He tried calling
his vendor, but software support here in Brazil is kinda weak.

If I could find an FTP site from where I could download patches, etc
or at least a support email address, it would be good enough.

Please reply by email. If there's sufficient interest, I will summarise.

Thanks in advance,

--

2. Tamarack scanners & Linux

3. Need opinions on 386 Unix's

4. dd corrupts my vtoc

5. MAXIMUM PROCESS SIZE under SCO UNIX ODT 1.1 and ANY OTHER 386 UNIX??

6. make problem. Please, Please help.

7. WAS: Linux vs Unix; NOW: AT&T UNIX 386

8. Smaller Linux ????

9. Help configuring HPLaserjet II w/ Postscript under UNIX SysV/386...

10. Help on SCO Unix V/386

11. Need help adding 3rd parallel port to SCO SystemV/386 machine

12. AT&T 6386 SYSv/386 3.2 tape (+) help needed

13. Linux vet needs help with Slackware 3.01 setup on 386 system