Help!!How to extract tar.gz file??

Post by Hoi Bun Nelson Won » Mon, 02 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hi everyone:

    Recently, I download a ICQ program(Java version) and I would like to
install it into my unix acount in school, in fact, it is a compressed
file  (ICQJava_Preview.tar.gz), it would be very appreciated if someone
can teach me how to extract this file in unix system.

Thanks in advance.

--

Help!!How to extract tar.gz file??

Post by Andrew Smallsha » Tue, 03 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> Hi everyone:

>     Recently, I download a ICQ program(Java version) and I would like to
> install it into my unix acount in school, in fact, it is a compressed
> file  (ICQJava_Preview.tar.gz), it would be very appreciated if someone can
> teach me how to extract this file in unix system.

gzcat ICQJava_Preview.tar.gz |tar xf -

This assumes that the gzip package is installed (if not get it).  Not that gzcat
may be called zcat on Linux systems.

--
Andrew Smallshaw

Help!!How to extract tar.gz file??