Upgrading

Post by Rob Peterso » Wed, 11 Dec 2002 01:25:31

We are running SCO Open Server 5.02b on a Pentium 166. Scsi drives and scsi
cd and tandberg scsi backup (2.5 gb). I want to upgrade the system and then
transfer the data over. (By the way, I have PC Enterprise installed so the
Unix system can be seen from our peer to peer Windows 98 network.)

The programs on the SCO system are text based. We connect via dumb terminals
or telnet via pc's. Programs are written in Business Basic. (bbx).

For a new system, should we stick with scsi?

 And what should I do about software? SCO?? Linux??

Thanks much.

Upgrading

Post by Tony Lawrenc » Wed, 11 Dec 2002 05:28:04

> We are running SCO Open Server 5.02b on a Pentium 166. Scsi drives and scsi
> cd and tandberg scsi backup (2.5 gb). I want to upgrade the system and then
> transfer the data over. (By the way, I have PC Enterprise installed so the
> Unix system can be seen from our peer to peer Windows 98 network.)

> The programs on the SCO system are text based. We connect via dumb terminals
> or telnet via pc's. Programs are written in Business Basic. (bbx).

> For a new system, should we stick with scsi?

It's faster in a multiuser environment.  If that's important to you,
then yes, stick with scsi.

Quote:

>  And what should I do about software? SCO?? Linux??

Does it (whatever "it" is) run on Linux?

--

Tony Lawrence
Unix/Linux Support Tips, How-To's, Tests and more: http://aplawrence.com

Upgrading

Post by Ted Summer » Wed, 11 Dec 2002 09:54:45

Reload your same version of SCO on the new computer, then reload your bbx
software on the new hardware. Then tar off your bbx directories and put
those on your new box (with old SCO (b4 5.0.6) can't use a P4, would have to
be a P3), and you would be done. assuming it all seems to work ok- ie test
it. If all is ok- wipe the old box so you don't violate any copyrights....

You could try to load on the linux and it will work or not.. if not there is
a new version of BBx for linux, but would probably require that Basis (BBx
manufacturer) convert the data and you would have to buy a new version.....

Regards,
Ted

> > We are running SCO Open Server 5.02b on a Pentium 166. Scsi drives and
scsi
> > cd and tandberg scsi backup (2.5 gb). I want to upgrade the system and
then
> > transfer the data over. (By the way, I have PC Enterprise installed so
the
> > Unix system can be seen from our peer to peer Windows 98 network.)

> > The programs on the SCO system are text based. We connect via dumb
terminals
> > or telnet via pc's. Programs are written in Business Basic. (bbx).

> > For a new system, should we stick with scsi?

> It's faster in a multiuser environment.  If that's important to you,
> then yes, stick with scsi.

> >  And what should I do about software? SCO?? Linux??

> Does it (whatever "it" is) run on Linux?

> --

> Tony Lawrence
> Unix/Linux Support Tips, How-To's, Tests and more: http://aplawrence.com
> Free Linux Skills Test: ftp://aplawrence.com/pub/linuxquestions.zip

Upgrading

Post by Rob Peterso » Fri, 13 Dec 2002 02:09:47

Hi have Lone Tar which would help? Anyway, what do you mean by P4 / P3 ???
Do you mean older versions of SCO won't work on a Pentium 4? That's scary. I
certainly don't want to buy old technology.

thanks.
rob

> Reload your same version of SCO on the new computer, then reload your bbx
> software on the new hardware. Then tar off your bbx directories and put
> those on your new box (with old SCO (b4 5.0.6) can't use a P4, would have
> be a P3), and you would be done. assuming it all seems to work ok- ie test
> it. If all is ok- wipe the old box so you don't violate any copyrights....

> You could try to load on the linux and it will work or not.. if not there
is
> a new version of BBx for linux, but would probably require that Basis (BBx
> manufacturer) convert the data and you would have to buy a new
version.....

> Regards,
> Ted

> > > We are running SCO Open Server 5.02b on a Pentium 166. Scsi drives and
> scsi
> > > cd and tandberg scsi backup (2.5 gb). I want to upgrade the system and
> then
> > > transfer the data over. (By the way, I have PC Enterprise installed so
> the
> > > Unix system can be seen from our peer to peer Windows 98 network.)

> > > The programs on the SCO system are text based. We connect via dumb
> terminals
> > > or telnet via pc's. Programs are written in Business Basic. (bbx).

> > > For a new system, should we stick with scsi?

> > It's faster in a multiuser environment.  If that's important to you,
> > then yes, stick with scsi.

> > >  And what should I do about software? SCO?? Linux??

> > Does it (whatever "it" is) run on Linux?

> > --

> > Tony Lawrence
> > Unix/Linux Support Tips, How-To's, Tests and more: http://aplawrence.com
> > Free Linux Skills Test: ftp://aplawrence.com/pub/linuxquestions.zip

1. schedule for upgrades and the Summer [was Re: Upgrades to OS]

I suspect many people will no longer be around after mid-May or so.
So I was thinking:  the best possibility would be if 1.0 were magically
available by then.  I don't think that's reasonable.  So perhaps
a ``final beta'' version could be released by then, with enough time to
spot any major gaffs, and then anyone who leaves in May will have a good
copy to use.  Then 1.0 would be put together in the Fall.

I don't know how many people will be away for the Summer, but if it
turns out to be a lot, that would make sense, it seems to me.

Comments?

-Joel

2. xmcd binaries?

3. To upgrade or not to upgrade, that is the question...

4. Bourne shell script broken

5. Upgrading Solaris-Need to upgrade Progress?

6. Backup Cron Jobs

7. Solaris 8 upgrade using Live upgrade method

8. Swap file size limit

9. Kernel 2.2, to upgrade or not to upgrade???

10. Upgraded 1.0 - upgrade daemon

11. upgrade to 2.2 required libc5 upgrade?

12. 2.4 - to upgrade or not to upgrade

13. Does RedHat upgrade really upgrade including Caldera