Need a good Unix book.

Post by Mei Anthony » Thu, 18 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Can anyone suggest a good Unix book?  I want a book that is good to
learn from but won't be so simple that I will outgrow it - ie. it should
also be a good reference book.

Thanks in advance.

Need a good Unix book.

Post by Lawson Hans » Fri, 19 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Can anyone suggest a good Unix book?  I want a book that is good to
>learn from but won't be so simple that I will outgrow it - ie. it should
>also be a good reference book.
>Thanks in advance.

In my opinion, if you want a REAL Unix book,
you can't go past one of the originals:

    Authors:        Kernighan, B.W., and Pike, R.
    Title:          The UNIX Programming Environment
    Publisher:      Prentice-Hall
    Copyright Date: 1984

I've had my copy since 1986, and I STILL get good
mileage out of it every now and then.

The book explains the real spirit in which Unix was
intended to be used and extended, and covers many
different angles, such as interacting with the shell,
and shell programming, and C programming, etc.

Best regards,

Lawson Hanson

1. Need good books on Advanced UNIX programming, Standard Unix C APIs

I have the need to learn advanced UNIX programming topics like
multi-threaded applications programming, driver writing and systems
programming.  I will just be using C (ie, gcc, cc).  A good treatment of the
standard Unix C api's would be good as well.  Does anybody have any
favorites or suggestions?

Thanks ... Scott

2. sh: /dev/tty1: permission denied....WHY?

3. Which is the good book for Unix Admin book ?

4. Wordperfect 5.2 Problem

5. Forced Into Unix Admin - Need a good book.

6. te

7. Need a good Unix Programming book

8. Live Video on Linux?

9. Need Good Unix Books? (Help)

10. Learning UNIX- Need a good book reference

11. Need a good book on Unix

12. BOOK: Any good books on Client/Server Design Architectures

13. Good books on the design of OS, re-entrancy, Dragon Book etc.