what service is provided on port 137?

Post by Chris Ventur » Fri, 07 Jan 2000 04:00:00

That's your netbios naming service.  It sends packets basically of
information on other computers running Windows networking.  I wouldn't worry
about it unless your firewall is letting it in, and your letting it out.

CV-64

Quote:> We have no entry in /etc/services for port 137.  Yet we receive rather

Post by Ken Pizzi » Sat, 08 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>We have no entry in /etc/services for port 137.  Yet we receive rather
>frequent probes at our firewall on port 137.  Can anyone tell me what
>services are provided on port 137?  Thanks.

Netbios Name Service.

                --Ken Pizzini

Post by Jefferson Ogat » Sat, 08 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> >We have no entry in /etc/services for port 137.  Yet we receive rather
> >frequent probes at our firewall on port 137.  Can anyone tell me what
> >services are provided on port 137?  Thanks.

> Netbios Name Service.

In general, you can answer port assignment questions by looking at the official
list of assigned port numbers maintained by the Internet Assigned Numbers
Authority (http://www.iana.org/). A copy of the list is maintained at:

    http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/port-numbers

--
Jefferson Ogata : Internetworker, Antibozo

1. SPT=137 DPT=137 ?????

Just wondering if anyone out there knows which
piece of MS garbage-ware is responsible for doing
NetBIOS name lookups on arbitrary IP numbers?
Ie. UDP packets with source & destination ports 137
to any old IP number on the Internet.

It seemed like the behaviour was confined to
WinXP but I have just recently seen a Win2k box
start behaving the same way.

2. Netscape can't see my username defined in prefercence?

3. What is port 137???

4. Moving our product line to Linux

5. Port 137 -- why so many requests?

6. Chat / Modem / Slack96

7. Probes on port 137 ???

8. libc-5.2.18 with kernel 1.3.59

9. Ports 113 & 137

10. Stop netbios port 137, 138, 139 to bring up diald

11. Firewall Seeing Port 137, 138 UDP Traffic

12. Port 137...

13. Port 137