X.25 over ISDN?

Post by Nigel Harwo » Wed, 19 Jan 1994 14:10:53

I am looking into using ISDN instead of X.25 in our 400 site network.

Most of the applications currently running over X.25 can be easily
migrated: remote login, file copy, etc.  We have a couple though that
are custom written and which deal with X.25 directly.  I am looking
for some way to avoid having to re-write these applications.

The ISDN solution I am looking at uses an ISDN to TCP/IP router so
provides a nice solution for almost everything except for these custom
X.25 applications.

Is there any way I can get the X.25 to go over either ISDN itself or
else over the TCP/IP which runs over it?

Or, is there such a thing as an X.25 to ISDN router?

Our h/w s/w is:
   NCR System 3000/3450
   Unix SVR4 2.00
   WIN TCP-IP
   ISDN TCP/IP router
   NCR X.25 network software
   NCR MPCA X.25 board

Any help/info appreciated.

Regards
--
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<  Nigel Harwood  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
<< Post:  Coles Supermarkets, PO Box 480 Glen Iris 3146, Australia >>

<<   FAX: +61 3 829 6886                                           >>
--
The opinions of the poster do not necessarily represent those of the company.

X.25 over ISDN?

Post by Patrick Coghl » Thu, 20 Jan 1994 00:03:16

|> I am looking into using ISDN instead of X.25 in our 400 site network.
|>
|> Most of the applications currently running over X.25 can be easily
|> migrated: remote login, file copy, etc.  We have a couple though that
|> are custom written and which deal with X.25 directly.  I am looking
|> for some way to avoid having to re-write these applications.
|>
|> The ISDN solution I am looking at uses an ISDN to TCP/IP router so
|> provides a nice solution for almost everything except for these custom
|> X.25 applications.
|>
|> Is there any way I can get the X.25 to go over either ISDN itself or
|> else over the TCP/IP which runs over it?

Basic-rate ISDN provides 2 64 kbit B-channels which can run in either
circuit (bitstream, e.g. voice) or packet bearer mode.

Packet bearer mode actually provides X.25 on the B-channels.  It is
also possible to use the 9.6 kbit D-channel for X.25.  In other words,
the ISDN switch provides the equivalent to a public packet switching
network.

Alternatively, you can set up a circuit switched connection between
two points just like a modem connection.  In this case, the network
just carries the bits.  Your bitstream can be anything you want
(X.25 etc.).

X.25 over ISDN?

Post by Nigel Harwo » Tue, 25 Jan 1994 13:33:11

>|> I am looking into using ISDN instead of X.25 in our 400 site network.
>|>
>Basic-rate ISDN provides 2 64 kbit B-channels which can run in either
>circuit (bitstream, e.g. voice) or packet bearer mode.
>Packet bearer mode actually provides X.25 on the B-channels.  It is
>also possible to use the 9.6 kbit D-channel for X.25.  In other words,
>the ISDN switch provides the equivalent to a public packet switching
>network.
>Alternatively, you can set up a circuit switched connection between
>two points just like a modem connection.  In this case, the network
>just carries the bits.  Your bitstream can be anything you want
>(X.25 etc.).

Thanks for the information.  Is there a restriction on the number of
virtual circuits you can have on a single B-channel?  We currently have
16 SVCs on our X.25 network and we regularly use up to 12 of these.

--
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<  Nigel Harwood  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
<< Post:  Coles Supermarkets, PO Box 480 Glen Iris 3146, Australia >>

<<   FAX: +61 3 829 6886                                           >>
--
The opinions of the poster do not necessarily represent those of the company.

1. X.25 over D-channel ISDN

I was wondering if Sun supports X.25 access over ISDN D-channel?

If so, what packages are needed? I've got Sunlink X.25; would I
need SinLink ISDN instead of/as well as Sunlink X.25?

What does the software interface look like - similar to Sunlink
X.25 (I use the NLI interface)?

Andrew Gabriel
Consultant Software Engineer

2. SETI@home linux client

3. X.25 over ISDN

4. mars-nwe slow?

5. X.25 over ISDN to HP BRILINK

6. PPPoA with SpeedTouch USB

7. Pipeline 25/ISDN router shows constant WAN activity

8. Linux and ISDN ISA TAs (plus the incredible Ascend Pipeline 25)

9. TCP/IP over X.25 over ISDN question

10. ISDN, X.25

11. ISDN and X.25

12. ok for ISDN but for X.25