UNIX for IBM mainframe???

Post by Justin Sulliv » Sat, 21 Mar 1992 23:00:55

Martin McCaulley K. writes

Quote:> I will be working for an outfit starting this monday that is using an
> IBM mainframe (9XXX.  nine thousand something) that runs MVS.  I was
> wondering if there is an implementation of unix out there that runs on
> an IBM mainframe that usually runs MVS.  The department that I am
> working for is seriously considering switching to unix (yah!!!) and I
> would like to find an implementation of unix that will help them utilize
> their investment in hardware that they already have.

A 9000ES? Nice machine.. It actually runs VM/MVS.
AIX/370 (I believe that's the official name) is IBM's AIX for their mainframes.
We run it on our 3090-600J (the predecessor to the 9000ES). I hate AIX. You
will find that many things change. Even the filesystem. They couldn't leave
well enough alone and just port some other version of UNIX (i.e., SVR4) to
their platforms.. They had to pick and prod and mess it all up. Just an
opinion.
It's very expensive, however. For your system, I believe the price goes way
over the $100,000 mark.. Probably closer to the $200,000 mark, because IBM
prices it's AIX for the system AND number of users. It's too much money for
what you get, I think. Our people are pretty productive (it seems) with VM/MVS.
But I live and breathe UNIX (not the same as AIX :)

* "Imagine sky.. High above, in Caribbean Blue.." <sigh>                      *
* The University of Kentucky doesn't pay well enough to share my opinions.    *

UNIX for IBM mainframe???

Post by Martin McCaulley » Sat, 21 Mar 1992 05:54:58

I will be working for an outfit starting this monday that is using an
IBM mainframe (9XXX.  nine thousand something) that runs MVS.  I was
wondering if there is an implementation of unix out there that runs on
an IBM mainframe that usually runs MVS.  The department that I am
working for is seriously considering switching to unix (yah!!!) and I
would like to find an implementation of unix that will help them utilize
their investment in hardware that they already have.

                                Thanks  for your help

                                        Sincerely,

                                        Martin McCaulley

1. Unix ----> IBM Mainframe

I'd like to make a connection from the Unix side to an IBM
mainframe from within a C program. What is the best way to
do this?

When I use pipes to telnet to the mainframe every once in
a while I'll get the "MORE" prompt from the mainframe
that causes my program to hang - waiting from input in the
pipe. I've tried turning on telnet 'line-by-line' mode
but I still get the MORE prompt. Is there some better method
of communicating with the mainframe so that all I get is raw
data and not terminal control stuff like "MORE"?

Help!!

--
Philip A.                                       BNR, Richardson, Texas

2. How to know the sizes of memory, cache, and harddisk.

3. Radeon finally works with XFree 4.2.0, but...

4. telnet from Unix to IBM Mainframe Q

5. Diamond Viper V770 driver needed

6. IBM mainframe to UNIX print spool

7. Diamond Viper V550?

8. IBM mainframe/Unix connectivity questions/issues

9. UNIX (AIX) mail to/from IBM mainframe PS/CICS

10. A Single Windows Interface to Access UNIX, IBM Mainframe, and AS/400 hosts

11. Possible to telnet IBM mainframe -> Unix?

12. Print from IBM mainframe to UNIX