Transport Layer Interface (TLI) programming in UNIX System V

Transport Layer Interface (TLI) programming in UNIX System V

Post by Makarand Gokha » Sat, 22 Jun 1991 01:17:49

Hi

I recently read about Transport Layer Interface (TLI) available in UNIX
System V. It is expected to offer medium as well as protocol independence.

After reading thru the Network Programmer's Guide I tried to write a simple
client server program based on TLI. I was unsuccessful in running it.
The UNIX System V Network Programmer's Guide explains TLI very well, but
unfortunately does not provide enough information on how to write programs,
what are the requirements, what information is necessary to write a network
application.

Could someone suggest some good reading material, or papers which give
details on how to write programs in TLI that work.

I would appreciate it if someone could send me a simpel client server program
that I can write and execute.

Also answers to following questions will be very helpful.

1. What are the preparations necessary before I can use TLI.

2. Do I need special device files ( I was trying to use /dev/tcp ).

3. What are the address format for using these device files. ( I kept
   getting bad address format for /dev/tcp on t_connect ).

4. Are there any restrictions ?

I am used to TCP/IP Socket based interprocess communication, and I tried using
the address format returned by gethostbyname().  THIS DOES NOT WORK .

Does this TLI stuff really work?

please post or E-mail me.

Thanks in advance.

Makarand Gokhale

"The views expressed herein are my own and do not in anyway represent company
 policies, procedures or anything" --

1. Transport Layer Interface (TLI)

Hi!

I'm looking for an implementation of AT&T's Transport Layer Interface (TLI)
for my linux box. Any help is appreciated.

TIA
        Oliver

--
-- Oliver Obst - Frankenstr. 43 - 56068 Koblenz - Fon 0261-38825 - Fax 38819 --
-- http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~frvit -------------------------------------------

2. CONVERSION, (postscript to laser) on 3B's and DEC stations

3. TLI (Transport Layer Interface) for Linux

4. Typo in ide

5. Sockets vs TLI - use a common transport-layer interface?

6. Serial Driver Name Question (kernels 2.4.x)

7. Transport Layer Interface (TLI) Library source

8. Urgent: "lpc stat" and "lpc stat lj02" gives different result

9. TLI (Transport Layer Interface) for Linux

10. Transport Layer Interface (TLI)

11. Transport Layer Interface and Streams Interface

12. IP_REUSEADDR option of t_optmgmt() from TLI transport interface

13. Timestamp from Transport Layer or Physical Layer Packet?