Escape character control

Post by Anita Hsiun » Sat, 25 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Hi UNIX people,

I know a couple of the cursor (text) control escape characters,
namely ^[[4m for underlining and ^[[7m for reverse video.  Where
can I get a list of all the possible control characters?

Thanks in advance,
Anita

--

<> Missile Flight Sciences           "Supreme excellence consists of <>
<> Lockheed Martin Missiles & Space  breaking the enemy's resistance <>

Escape character control

Post by Kurt J. Lanz » Tue, 28 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> Hi UNIX people,

> I know a couple of the cursor (text) control escape characters,
> namely ^[[4m for underlining and ^[[7m for reverse video.  Where
> can I get a list of all the possible control characters?

> Thanks in advance,
> Anita

Start with the man pages for terminfo and tput.
--
Kurt J. Lanza

1. add control characters using sed with escape sequences?

Ok, I've managed to pull out most of the hair on my head over this
one...

I want to do the opposite to what most people seem to be asking.  I
have an ascii text file on my unix server and I wish to add Ctrl-M
(^M) characters to the end of each line in the file.  There are no ^M
characters in the file presently.

I can do this rather easily using the following sed command,

  sed -e 's/$/^M/' infile > outfile

where ^M is entered as a control character using Ctrl-V + Ctrl-M.

However, what I need to do is create a script that does not contain
the control character ^M in the sed command.  I would like to use an
escape sequence for the ^M character so that my script does not
contain any control characters.

Is that possible using sed?  I have seen many posts that mention it is
hard to use escape sequences in sed.

An option might be to use the translate command "tr" however I have
had no luck using this command.

Help!?

Regards
Paul

2. sending data through IP ?

3. Using sed with control/escape characters

4. 'make dep' produces lots of errors with this .config

5. Questions regarding recognizing control/escape characters.

6. resolv.conf and pppd

7. Apache: escaping control characters in logs

8. Making OFFLINE printer ONLINE???

9. mapping escape sequences to control characters in KSH

10. ZMODEM version differences; Escape Control Characters

11. looking for an escape function (ansi c) to escape characters for usage in an URL

12. Escaping characters

13. How to enter the Escape character in vi