Linux

Post by s.. » Sat, 20 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I would like to start learning UNIX. I am thinking of installing linux
on my MAC
6100 based system. It has only one HD for now.  Is there a version for
LINUX that i can install on my Power PC macintosh. I have a PC card in
my mac.

Jack

Linux

Post by Andrew Verno » Wed, 24 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I would like to start learning UNIX. I am thinking of installing linux
>on my MAC
>6100 based system. It has only one HD for now.  Is there a version for
>LINUX that i can install on my Power PC macintosh. I have a PC card in
>my mac.

Sure.  You should be able to install the Intel version into the DOS
Compatability environment without much trouble.  However, you can look into
MkLinux, a variant using the Mach microkernel, which runs natively on
PowerPC Macs.  The downside is that Linux binaries are usually available
only for Intel machines, leaving Sparc, Alpha and Mac users to compile a lot
of things themselves.

www.mklinux.apple.com