EBCDIC/ASCII Conversion

Post by L697.. » Wed, 23 Jun 1993 15:55:58

Does anyone know if ftp does EBCDIC/ASCII conversion.  I heard somewhere
that if you set the transfer mode to ASCII that ftp will convert EBCDIC
data to ASCII data.  Can anyone confirm or deny this?  Thanks.

EBCDIC/ASCII Conversion

Post by John Vanderpo » Tue, 29 Jun 1993 11:42:56

>Does anyone know if ftp does EBCDIC/ASCII conversion.  I heard somewhere
>that if you set the transfer mode to ASCII that ftp will convert EBCDIC
>data to ASCII data.  Can anyone confirm or deny this?  Thanks.

i've never heard of it but it would be possible to implement it
use the dd command to convert after you transfer (conv= switch)

                fish
--

NASA/GSFC/HSTX         VOX: 301-513-1683  FAX: 301-513-1608
"Don't put me in a frame upon the mantle, for memories grow dusty, old & gray;

EBCDIC/ASCII Conversion

Post by Paul Gron » Tue, 29 Jun 1993 13:05:12

>>Does anyone know if ftp does EBCDIC/ASCII conversion.  I heard somewhere
>>that if you set the transfer mode to ASCII that ftp will convert EBCDIC
>>data to ASCII data.  Can anyone confirm or deny this?  Thanks.

Yes, it does.  We found this out when SAS would not read OSIRIS files
that we had ftp'ed from an MVS machine.  It turned out that the EBCDIC
format needed to be maintained, as we had to ftp as binary files.

EBCDIC/ASCII Conversion

Post by Rob Masca » Tue, 29 Jun 1993 23:44:37

>>>Does anyone know if ftp does EBCDIC/ASCII conversion.  I heard somewhere
>>>that if you set the transfer mode to ASCII that ftp will convert EBCDIC
>>>data to ASCII data.  Can anyone confirm or deny this?  Thanks.
>Yes, it does.  We found this out when SAS would not read OSIRIS files
>that we had ftp'ed from an MVS machine.  It turned out that the EBCDIC
>format needed to be maintained, as we had to ftp as binary files.

Any MVS TCPIP suite, ie. TCP 1.0 - 2.2 will automatically detect the type
of data and convert unless you specify otherwise. This goes for both
FTP and NFS. There also are options to put carriage returns and linefeeds
after each MVS type record, a common problem when transfering.

rob.
#  Rob Mascaro, System Administrator             | Phone: +61 9 4251804       #

EBCDIC/ASCII Conversion

Post by Steven Gar » Wed, 14 Jul 1993 06:32:00

Quote:>>>>Does anyone know if ftp does EBCDIC/ASCII conversion.  I heard somewhere
>>Yes, it does.  We found this out when SAS would not read OSIRIS files
>>that we had ftp'ed from an MVS machine.  It turned out that the EBCDIC
>>format needed to be maintained, as we had to ftp as binary files.
>Any MVS TCPIP suite, ie. TCP 1.0 - 2.2 will automatically detect the type
>of data and convert unless you specify otherwise. This goes for both
>FTP and NFS. There also are options to put carriage returns and linefeeds
>after each MVS type record, a common problem when transfering.

     While it is true that any MVS TCP/IP protocol compliant package will
convert a file to ASCII format from EBCIDIC, it will do nothing for the packed
and numeric fields.  It will actually convert them incorrectly.

     I am currently in the process of writing a program to do this.  A field
definition file (for numerics) will need to be supplied, but that is it,
nothing else.   I am almost done, but I have a few things to work out.

     If anyone is still interested, let me know.

                        Steven Garno

1. EBCDIC/ASCII Conversion With RPC To IBM Mainframe

In building an RPC application between an IBM host and an
ASCII client (e.g., MS-DOS and MS-Windows), am I going to
need to do the EBCDIC/ASCII translation myself?  Are there
any other gotchas specific to using RPC in this environment?

I'm trying to put together a network API that is callable from
ASCII clients to servers based on UNIX, VMS, and IBM mainframes.
I'm wondering whether there is a clean way to do this so
that the client doesn't need to know where the server is and what
kind of OS it is running ahead of time.

2. Building a PPP-link with DIP

3. dd EBCDIC to ASCII Conversion Problem

4. Formatting source code for ducumentation

5. SOS: C Routines for ASCII to EBCDIC Conversion and Vice-versa

6. swap reported as different sizes.

7. EBCDIC to ASCII conversion program

8. EXT2 Filesystem permissions (bug)?

9. EBCDIC & ASCII Conversion Routines Needed

10. EBCDIC to ASCII Conversion

11. EBCDIC -> ASCII conversion (addenda)

12. EBCDIC to ASCII conversion

13. EBCDIC to ASCII conversion with packed fields