Running a background process using &

Post by Ed B Jon » Fri, 11 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Does anyone know what really happens when one attempts to edit a file in the
background using "vi" and &

At the shell, I typed

     % vi filename &

And I got

     % [1] 450

And then, I am at the shell again.

I know the 450 is the process id number.  What is the [1] for?

With the ps -e command, I know the process is still alive in the background.

Is it possible to even access the vi editor in the background, let's say, to
edit the filename?  If you know, please explain why or why not.  Thanx.

Running a background process using &

Post by Maik Tom » Fri, 11 Dec 1998 04:00:00

The [1] says that you have now one job in the background. If you start
another job and job number [1] is still running than the next one gets
the id [2] and so on.
If you like to control your jobs, you can use these job ids. For example
to kill the 2nd started job simply type in "kill %2", or to bring the
1st back in the foreground type in "fg %1".

HTH,
Maik.

Quote:> At the shell, I typed

>      % vi filename &

> And I got

>      % [1] 450

> And then, I am at the shell again.

> I know the 450 is the process id number.  What is the [1] for?

1. Running background process using &

Does anyone know what really happens when one attempts to edit a file in the
background using "vi" and &

At the shell, I typed

     % vi filename &

And I got

     % [1] 450

And then, I am at the shell again.

I know the 450 is the process id number.  What is the [1] for?

With the ps -e command, I know the process is still alive in the background.

Is it possible to even access the vi editor in the background, let's say, to
edit the filename?  If you know, please explain why or why not.  Thanx.

2. screen size

3. Running a background process using &

4. signal 7 caught / ftp trouble

5. FreeBSD 4.5-PRERELEASE / setuid?

6. Starting background process (using &)

7. Epson Action Laser II and lpr

8. Killing csh background process **AND** any unfinished processes (fg and background) it started

9. How do I disassociate a background process from the process used to start it?

10. background process runs and output comes to terminal in 4.3.3

11. running an X windows process in background through ssh

12. How Do U run a Background Process ?