Bash/shell programming + gui

Post by NG_lurke » Fri, 19 Jul 2002 17:45:19

I encountered the dialog utility in one of the bash tutorials im studying
and got impressed with it. I immediately remembered anaconda/Xconfigurator
and other console gui in Linux RedHat. Can this work "side-by-side" with
bash programming or is there a separate scripting language with gui
builtin? I remember reading a post like this in this NG or in unix.shell
but couldnt find it. I'd like to ask the veterans here if shell + gui
programming is recommended in lieu of shell scripting for shell newbies
like me.

--
Posting using Xnews
Change invalid to com to reach me by email

Bash/shell programming + gui

Post by those who know me have no need of my nam » Sun, 21 Jul 2002 13:35:15

in comp.unix.questions i read:

Quote:>I encountered the dialog utility in one of the bash tutorials im studying
>and got impressed with it. I immediately remembered anaconda/Xconfigurator
>and other console gui in Linux RedHat. Can this work "side-by-side" with
>bash programming or is there a separate scripting language with gui
>builtin?

dialog works with any scripting language, such as is supported by bash.
also there are scripting languages with internal support for writing a gui.

Bash/shell programming + gui

Post by NG_lurke » Sun, 21 Jul 2002 14:32:01

Quote:> in comp.unix.questions i read:

> >I encountered the dialog utility in one of the bash tutorials im studying
> >and got impressed with it. I immediately remembered anaconda/Xconfigurator
> >and other console gui in Linux RedHat. Can this work "side-by-side" with
> >bash programming or is there a separate scripting language with gui
> >builtin?

> dialog works with any scripting language, such as is supported by bash.
> also there are scripting languages with internal support for writing a gui.

Hi! Thanks much for the reply. Just for my knowledge, can you tell me
what are those "scripting languages with internal support for writing a
gui"? TIA.

Using PC-Pine 4.44 MUA
Replace invalid with com in email address to send
email.

Bash/shell programming + gui

Post by Cameron Simpso » Mon, 22 Jul 2002 11:34:32

| Hi! Thanks much for the reply. Just for my knowledge, can you tell me
| what are those "scripting languages with internal support for writing a
| gui"? TIA.

You could try TCL (ugh!), using its Tk library.
Or perl or python using their Tk bindings.
--

I worry about my child and the Internet all the time, even though she's
too young to have logged on yet. Here's what I worry about. I worry

Is there a proper fixed bash on any of the FTP sites out there?

I know there bash is on the usual sites but I don't know if they are
bugged or not :(

Regards,

Neil.

--

------------------------------------| Edinburgh, EH14 2DE, United Kingdom
**Domino: There`s nothing you can do when you`re the next in line: Domino**

2. GUI contest announcement (free entry, $2k first prize)

3. looking for a GUI for shell program.

4. Tyop in hwc_rw.c (2.4.21-pre3)

5. gui ftp program? (or gui frontend for ncftp?)

6. Tomcat 3.2 + Apache vs. "public_html" directories

7. Bash Shell Script File Checking Program

8. Need help setting up JFFS2

9. Bash shell programming

10. Bash shell programming..

11. Bash shell programming guide

12. call external c program from shell or bash script

13. bash shell programming - script return without exit