System Login Sequence of Events?

Post by Suzanne Cornwa » Thu, 22 Dec 1994 01:15:27

First, thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

What I'm looking for is the sequence of events followed when logging into a
SparcStation 20 running SunOS 4.1.3, in one of two scenarios:

   a)  log in from the system keyboard itself ('tty = '/dev/console'),
which in our current setup gets me up under the OpenWin window manager.

   b)  log in from a Tektronix X-terminal, which currently gets me up
under the Quest Motif window manager.

** The Questions for which I seek answers:

1.  Where in the login sequence of events is the decision being made as
to which window manager will be executed?

2.  What program(s) and/or shell script(s) are involved in the sequence?

3.  Are there any clearly documented references where the sequence is
outlined and explained (yes, I know, I can see everyone rolling around on
the floor laughing.... :-)  )?

4.  When the X-window manager for Quest is initializing, does anyone know
the files it uses to determine its setup?  I haven't found any clear
references yet...

Please respond by e-mail to the address below.  Again, thanks in advance
for any help.                          -Jim Cornwall-

***     (Sue's spousal unit, experienced mainframer, neophyte Unixer,  ***
***      and tasked by the USAF to support both...)                    ***

1. Sequence of events for Logon

Hi,

I have Redhat 7.2 installed and in order to track down a logon error
(reference message "Unable to login in to my RH7.2 machine" in this
newsgroup dated 1/27/02) I was hoping someone would be able to give me an
idea of what happens after the user enters their name and password from the
GUI login screen.

Specifically, I believe I have a mis-configured network setup, but without
knowing which files get referenced during the logon initialization, it is
difficult to isolate the problem.

Any assistance or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
John

2. Yamaha OPL3-SAx revisited...

3. X keyboard events out of sequence

4. HP Laserjet 6L

5. Mangled key event sequence in Mandrake+XFree86

6. Linux + Win95 problem

7. WHATIS -> the proper sequence of events to install Vinum ?

8. S3 864 in 24/32bpp?

9. sequence of events when logging in?

10. Keyboard works during boot sequence, but not at login prompt

11. login sequence

12. Lost login sequence

13. PL15 login sequence screwed??