Why am I getting this failure?

Post by John Higl » Sun, 02 Dec 1990 02:00:00

Given the following code segment and two unrelated users:

---------------------------cut---------------------------------
#include <stdio.h>

extern int
  errno;
extern char
  *sys_errlist[];

main()
{
  FILE
    *testfile;

  if ((testfile=fopen("junkfile","r")) == NULL)
    fprintf(stderr,"Unable to open file - %s\n",sys_errlist[errno]);

Quote:}

---------------------------cut---------------------------------

User 1  owns the program  sets it up with the mode 4755 (-rwsr-xr-x)

User 2 creates a directory (junkdir) and a file (junkdir/junkfile)
The mode on junkdir is 700   junkfile is 644

User 2 goes into junkdir and executes the program.

The program should fail with Permission denied

User 2 changes mode on junkdir to 701 (o+x), and executes the program again.

The program fails with Permission denied.   (Why?)

User 2 changes mode on junkdir to 710 or 711 (g+x) and executes again.

The program succeeds.  (Why does fopen need group execute on the directory
when the two users are not in the same group????)

                                        John Higley

1. Why I am getting two IP addresses when I connect to my work through VPN

Guys:

I have laptop at home, connect to my home router using WLAN, I do get
IP address from my router 192.168.0.2, I used to connect to my work
using VPN, when I do "ipconfig" I can see two IP address, one for
local LAN and other for VPN, why two IP addresses?.

Also when I work using VPN, I can't go to any of the web sites, like
www.yahoo.com, when I disconnect VPN, everything is OK, what was the
reason?.

Thanks.

2. date in seconds

3. DAMN: Why am I getting the message over and over again?

4. PDQ Web Browser: Alpha test release

5. Why am I getting extra bytes?

6. No rtl8139 found in menuconfig in linux-2.2.22

7. Why am I not getting the right port number?

8. msgrcv() gets a SIGBUS

9. Why am I getting Kernel Panic VFS cannot mount root fs on 301?

10. Why am I getting "ILLEGAL PORT COMMAND" messages?

11. why am i getting packets here...?

12. delay eth1 initialization... why am i getting this??

13. Why am I getting "ether: unknown host"?