Objective : To become UNIX guru by the end of this year.
My Background :
1) Lives mostly on VM/CMS. Not much programing. Just reads netnews
2) Fluent in C and Rexx. Programs mostly on amiga500 but nothing
3) The top of the class CSC student.
4) I am not new to computers in general, but certainly a "pre-novice"
The Systam :
Sun SLC( LSC? LSD? CLS? not sure which.... ) with a postscript laser
printer. BW monitor. It's the one which can play sampled sound.
1) Another UNIX guru who might be able to help me gain the status
does not exists. ( Our UNIX lab opened this semester. )
2) I am very good at self-teaching. So all I have to do is to read
proper docs. Unfortunately, I do not have moolas to buy anything.
When I have some money, I have to fill my belly first. :-(
Buying any docs is out of question.
Possible Solutions :
1) Print the man pages. This site manager do not mind. but when
I print the man using lpr <manpage-filename>, it prints something
but it's very confusing. How can I print the man pages properly?
I would like to see bold and italics and what-not, but anything
readyly readable will do.
2) Is there any ftp-site where I can get some docs? I want some
stuffs on vi, shells, awk, pearl, standard unix cmds. I will
also need docs on X11, open-look, and other stuffs ( ? ) later.
3) By any chance, is there any place where they give away docs for
free? ( Wishful thinking, I suppose.... )
From Internet :
if your site has a dumb mailer try | for a smart mailer try
Today's Quote :
Beware of any postings made after 12 midnight.