Help with "dd" command

Post by William Ashe » Wed, 14 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I am attempting to read a DLT7000 tape that was created on a Solaris
system presumably with the "dd" command.  I am reading it using a DLT7000
drive attached to an NT 4.0 workstation through an Adaptec SCSI card.  I
am using the MKS Toolkit's "dd" command.  I have the ASPI32 driver from
Adaptec to interface between "dd" and the tape drive.  Here is the command
I am issuing:

dd if=/dev/mt0 of=tape.fil

The problem is that I am getting this message: "attempted to read block of
512 bytes , but got block of 32683...".  The message goes on to say that
the block was truncated.  I've tried adding a bs=32683 option to the dd
command, but then I get a SCSI read error.

I'm told the file has 203 byte records, so I've also added these options:
cbs=203
conv=unblock  (to add CR/LF to each record)

but got the same results.  Any ideas?  Please email me as well as
posting.  Thanks!

Help with "dd" command

Post by James A. William » Wed, 14 Jun 2000 04:00:00

You might have to play around with the block size, e. g. try:

dd if=/dev/mt0 ibs=32k of=/tape.fil

> I am attempting to read a DLT7000 tape that was created on a Solaris
> system presumably with the "dd" command.  I am reading it using a DLT7000
> drive attached to an NT 4.0 workstation through an Adaptec SCSI card.  I
> am using the MKS Toolkit's "dd" command.  I have the ASPI32 driver from
> Adaptec to interface between "dd" and the tape drive.  Here is the command
> I am issuing:

> dd if=/dev/mt0 of=tape.fil

> The problem is that I am getting this message: "attempted to read block of
> 512 bytes , but got block of 32683...".  The message goes on to say that
> the block was truncated.  I've tried adding a bs=32683 option to the dd
> command, but then I get a SCSI read error.

> I'm told the file has 203 byte records, so I've also added these options:
> cbs=203
> conv=unblock  (to add CR/LF to each record)

> but got the same results.  Any ideas?  Please email me as well as
> posting.  Thanks!

> --

Help with "dd" command

Post by William Ashe » Wed, 14 Jun 2000 04:00:00

James: you got me VERY close to the solution.  Here is what I ended up
with:

dd if=/dev/mt0 ibs=32683 of=tape.fil cbs=203 conv=unblock

The last two parameters are optional - I just put them in to get CR/LFs in
the output file.  The trick was to use "ibs" - I had been using "bs" and
it hadn't work.

Thanks!

> You might have to play around with the block size, e. g. try:

> dd if=/dev/mt0 ibs=32k of=/tape.fil

1. HELP: "TOP" Command and "SZ" command

I recently moved from a large SunOS based company with hundreds of
servers to a new job taking care of a SCO Unix box (just 1 and by myself).
I was used to the "TOP" command to show the top processes on the Sparc
servers.  Not being as familiar with SCO as I was with SunOS, I don't
seem to have a "TOP" command available.  Could someone point me in the
right direction.

I also tried typing my usual "sz" to Zmodem download a file via modem and
did not have any luck.  Is the file possibly located outside the path or
do I have to install the sz utility.  Any help with both or either
function would be appreciated.

Eric
Information Coordinator

--
            ________   __    ____
           / __   __| / _ \ |  _ \

2. Need Ethernet Card Jumper/Setup Info

3. help with "mt" and "dd"

4. mit-pthreads and malloc()

6. Installing Slackware on Dell XPS T

7. "write" "to" "flon" commands

8. User with shell pointing to /dev/null

9. "weof" operation in "mt" command gives "permission denied"

11. ". / command" instead of "command" ???

12. What is the different between "dd" and "cp"

13. Type "(", ")" and "{", "}" in X...