Do group permissions always override permissions for other (both more and less restrictive)?

Do group permissions always override permissions for other (both more and less restrictive)?

Post by Kevin Pfeiffe » Sun, 23 Feb 2003 17:56:09

Dear c.u.q.-lers,

This caught me by surprise yesterday:

drwx--xr-x    2 root     anothergroup           72 2003-02-22 09:19 dir

Because user "pfeiffer" is a member of "anothergroup" he cannot list the
contents of this directory, even though the dir is world-readable (no read
permission).

But if I change the group ownership to my own default group ("users" in this
case), then this works as I would expect (because of the permissions in
other).

Is this difference because my primary group is "users" and therefore my
"ownership" of the file (via my primary group) overrides the restrictive
group setting (which seemingly always overrides the "other" setting)?

-K
--
Kevin Pfeiffer
International University Bremen - www.iu-bremen.de

Do group permissions always override permissions for other (both more and less restrictive)?

Post by RSmith65 » Mon, 24 Feb 2003 11:09:13

With those permissions, members of group anothergroup aren't allowed to read
that directory (--x).  Users from other groups are treated as others.

Roger

Do group permissions always override permissions for other (both more and less restrictive)?

Post by Kevin Pfeiffe » Mon, 24 Feb 2003 19:14:58

Hi Roger,

> With those permissions, members of group anothergroup aren't allowed to
> read
> that directory (--x).  Users from other groups are treated as others.

So I learned. Can one then say: group permissions always override others and
owner permissions always override both group and others?

I also see that my supposition (that my primary group is handled differently
than other groups which I am a member of) is wrong. Looks like I wasn't
minding my "whoami"s.

-K
--

Post by Barry Margoli » Wed, 26 Feb 2003 01:41:32

>Hi Roger,

>> With those permissions, members of group anothergroup aren't allowed to
>> read
>> that directory (--x).  Users from other groups are treated as others.

>So I learned. Can one then say: group permissions always override others and
>owner permissions always override both group and others?

Yes.  The most specific matching one takes precedence.

--

Genuity Managed Services, Woburn, MA

1. File group permissions - applicable to a particular group user only possible??

Hi!
Is it possible to control file
attributes at user level among a
group in Unix system ?

        Eg:  Usr1, Usr2 and Usr3 are the users in a group  GRP.
        Usr1 is the owner of a file record.doc
        Is it possible for Usr1 to set  write permission for
        the file record.doc only to usr2 and not usr3 ???

I know that generally you would require Usr3 to then belong to another
group; is there any other way around this??

TIA,
Kiwi.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Redhat 7 and Gigabyte AC97 Sound.

3. permissions & group members of groups with Sol 2.6

4. Problems seeing fonts in xterm

5. rm allowing regular users to override permissions?

6. Remote mount of a tape

7. Apache: override user file permissions

8. System Commander + Linux

9. NFS mounts at lower mount points override permissions ...?

10. Override file permissions

11. Legally overriding permissions from shell scripts

12. Samba : override file permissions

13. Permission Woes - can't add write permission