bsd unix vs dec's vms

Post by Jeffrey P. Snov » Wed, 02 May 1990 15:42:00

Quote:>I need to obtain performance figures to compare bsd unix
>and dec's vms. I will apreciate if anyone can send me
>that kind of data (and to which I can make a reference...)

You'll probably get a couple of hundred responses in this
vein but here's the first one:

It depends on what you want to do.

    examples:
        - If you want to spawn many jobs, bsd would probably
          win hands down.
        - If you want optimal performance on a system that
          has heterogenous computing tasks (ya know, somebody
          is calculating an fft, while someone else does a
          db query while the secretary types a letter) you'll
          find that vms will tend to be better.

There probably about a million of examples so if you could
narrow you focus you'll probably get some better feedback.

/*** OPINION ON ***/
On of the great things about VMS is that (in general) if you
have enough money (and that might be alot) you can buy the
performance that you need.  On the other hand
it doesn't matter how much money you have,  you can't put
UNIX in a situation where it matters whether it works or not.

1. bsd unix vs dec's vms

----------
I don't know what Marshall's machine is, but a single-processor 6000
would be 25-50% faster than a 780, depending on application.

--
scott preece
gould/csd - urbana

2. Telnet sessions dropped

3. FTP users

4. bsd unix vs dec's vms - (nf)

5. IRCII errors compilating it!!!

6. dsb unix vs. dec's vms

7. Cardinal MVPV34i pnp problems

8. DEC Unix equivalent for VMS' SYS$ENQ()

9. Linux vs OS2 vs NT vs Win95 vs Multics vs PDP11 vs BSD geeks

10. kermit help: 'make bsd' and 'kermit vs watchdog'

11. BSD Unix vs. AT&T SV4 Unix

12. 'put' files from unix to VMS via batch ftp.