Linking umask to dir not user?

Post by sean » Fri, 12 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Is there a way to make a default mask for files created in a directory
and have it permanent.
My issue is I am running Apache and have a directory that I want 2
different users to be able to ftp into and both have read-write access
to. But of course when a file is sent it gets 644 access, I want all
newly created files to have 664 access by default so they can both work
on those files. How?

Sean

The X's. Kill the X's, you know what I mean.

Linking umask to dir not user?

Worked great, thanks.

Post by Anita » Sat, 13 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I use sco openserver 5.0.4 and to set the default file permissions I
change the umask of  the ftpd deamon found in etc/inetd.conf.

ftp   .......nowait......etc/ftpd      -u022

remember that when you change this, you need to restart your ftpd
service, just do a :
kill -hup <process_id>

also take a look at umask, ftpd and inetd.conf manuals
Good luck.

1. after changing a user's home dir, cd ~user in ksh still use old dir

See example below:

[julie:/export/home/root]grep oracle7 /etc/passwd
oracle7:x:65535:65535:Oracle Workgroup Server user:/opt:/usr/bin/sh
[julie:/export/home/root]cd ~oracle7
ksh: /opt/oracle7:  not found

Please note another subshell will do fine:

[julie:/export/home/root]/bin/ksh
[julie:/export/home/root]cd ~oracle7

What does this mean? Thanks.
--
Michael Wang
http://www.mindspring.com/~mwang

2. Linux 2.4.9-ac14

3. Apache MultiViews: /dir returns /dir/, not dir.html

4. libs for gcc 2.5.6

5. how to link /root and /home/user to one dir?

6. NFS question

7. Security...restricting user-access to home-dir + links

8. Help mounting an all-DOS hard drive needed

9. Creating some identical files/dir's in all users dir's

10. umask on directories and perms on new created home dirs

11. Automounter creates tmp mount dirs with drwxr-x--x allthough umask is 0, OS5

12. how chrooting a user not in his home dir

13. user cgi dirs - not for virtual domains