DOS-style UNIX command line shell

Post by Mukund Ra » Mon, 13 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Hi. I was wondering if anyone knew where to find (FTP or WWW address) a
UNIX shell (like the DOS "COMMAND.COM") that very closely resembled DOS
6.x's commands.  In other words, I can really work well with DOS; but
don't know UNIX too well; if there is a shell that can be run from UNIX,
that sent UNIX commands, by accepting "DOS-style" commands, lemme know -
rsvp privately as well, please.

Bye!

Post by Lew Pitch » Tue, 14 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>Hi. I was wondering if anyone knew where to find (FTP or WWW address) a
>UNIX shell (like the DOS "COMMAND.COM") that very closely resembled DOS
>6.x's commands.  In other words, I can really work well with DOS; but
>don't know UNIX too well; if there is a shell that can be run from UNIX,
>that sent UNIX commands, by accepting "DOS-style" commands, lemme know -
>rsvp privately as well, please.

Seeing as Microsoft has mimic'ed a large number of Unix commands into MSDOS,
I would think that learning Unix should be easy. But I bet you are one of
those people who would carry around a translating dictionary, and complain
that everyone else should speak your language when you go on an extended visit
to a foreign country.

Good Luck.

Quote:>Bye!

Lew Pitcher             | "I come from the 'Net'."
Toronto Dominion Bank   | Guardian Bob - Reboot

Post by Ed Moo » Wed, 15 Nov 1995 04:00:00

: Hi. I was wondering if anyone knew where to find (FTP or WWW address) a
: UNIX shell (like the DOS "COMMAND.COM") that very closely resembled DOS
: 6.x's commands.

I suppose it would be possible to write a crippled shell that resembled
COMMAND.COM.  IMHO that would be dangerous.  Unix's external commands
(cp, etc.) often behave in ways much different than their DOS counterparts.
The differences can kill you.  I think you have two options.

1)  If you're going to spend a few minutes a month dabbling in Unix, make
    a cheat sheet showing the DOS commands you use and their Unix
    equivalent.  I did this in 1985.

2)  If you're really going to use Unix, there is no alternative to learning
    Unix.  A Formula One car can be driven like an Oldsmobile, but that's
    not what it's for.  There is a risk of injury when operated without
    understanding.

Post by Stanislaw Streln » Sat, 18 Nov 1995 04:00:00

: Hi. I was wondering if anyone knew where to find (FTP or WWW address) a
: UNIX shell (like the DOS "COMMAND.COM") that very closely resembled DOS
: 6.x's commands.  In other words, I can really work well with DOS; but
: don't know UNIX too well; if there is a shell that can be run from UNIX,
: that sent UNIX commands, by accepting "DOS-style" commands, lemme know -
: rsvp privately as well, please.

: Bye!

  Such postings make me angry. Imagine your situation: you were using
something that resembles little children car, speeded by feet. Of course
it's funny but not useful at all... Now you exchanged it for real Porsche.
Do you still want to speed it up with your feet? When you have the ENGINE
?!?

  Well, one of the greatest advantages of Unix is its' flexibility. You can
of course change ANY shell to resemble DOS (ick..). But is it worth your
effort?

--

          St.Strelnik

There's no future in time travel

1. VMS-Style Command Line Editing in Unix?

Hi

     I am a user just switching over from VMS to Unix (csh) and would like to
have some of the features of VMS in Unix, including:

     a.  Ability to terminate command entry at any point that gives a unique
string (e.g., comp for compress, cl for clear, ...).  VMS automatically does
this for all commands.  Any way in Unix, other than specifying aliasses?

     b.  Ability to recall command history using cursor-up and cursor-down keys
and then edit string with cursor-left, cursor-right, delete, etc.  VMS
automatically does this and one can specify insert-mode for
command-line-editing as default in login.com.  Is there a similar utility
available for Unix?  The History command in Unix seems awkward.

Best Wishes
Jim

University of Winnipeg          (204) 786-9313
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada      (204) 786-1824 FAX
R3B 2E9

2. Help with redirection

3. Command line FTP program for either UNIX or DOS

4. BEGINNER - Ethernet/NIC Problem

5. Command line for uploading from dos 'puter to unix server?

6. Q: Syquest IDE and Linux

7. unix shell command line and interpreter

8. Q: V.35 hardware? Anyone know of any Linux compatible?

9. bash vi-style command line editing

10. Shell for exceuting HTTP/SMTP commands at windows command line

11. How can command matching with few letter from korn shell command line?

12. Command completion for Korn Shell command line

13. unix shell script to access a file line by line