How to change utime of a file

Post by mingteh ch » Sun, 06 Oct 1991 06:47:34

Dear Netters:

     Is there a way to change the utime of a file without changing ctime and
mtime? When I use "touch", all the [ucm]time are changed.  The reason I am
doing this is because I want to know if a file has been accessed after some
time. and these files are not own by me. and I only have read permission on
these files.
     At first I tried
     cat foo > /dev/null
     But the utime didn't change, then I used
     cat foo
     Then it worked fine. but it seems a little silly to let the content of
the files overwhelme the terminal, especially when the file is large and not
ascii.
     Can someone enlighten me on this?
     Thanks a lot in advance!