What does your SysV/V7/AIX/SCO/HP-UX/etc tar do with too long filenames?

What does your SysV/V7/AIX/SCO/HP-UX/etc tar do with too long filenames?

Post by Gerben Wier » Wed, 15 Apr 1992 21:18:07

For a program I am writing, I need to know what different tars do when the
archive has names that are too long. Suppose I make a tar on my BSD system and
I give it to you, and you have a SysV system (or whatever). What happens with
too long file names? As file or as directory element in the path?

Can anybody tell me what GNU tar does on SysV systems?

(+31) 2154 84415/(+31) 35 833539  || Support the League for Programming Freedom!
        "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there."
        Lewis Carroll, "Alice in Wonderland".

1. HP-UX to AIX conversion : unix to dos command

Hi,
we are currently going through a migration from HP-UX v10.10 to AIX ( dont know
the version but it is a recent one), one of our existing scripts ftps a file
from the
HP box to a Windows server.

The problem is that this script does a unix to dos conversion ( i think it
changes new line characters to the CR LF used in dos / windows), this is done
via the command ux2dos. Is there an equivelent to the HP command ux2dos in AIX
?

Thanks in anticipation

adrian

2. X, ET-4000 and Adaptec 1542B

3. AIX <--> HP-UX tar

4. HELP! Back-UPS pro and powerd

5. How to mount a DOS-formatted filesystem under HP-UX

6. UNIX for Communist Copy of SUN WS?

7. Q: Filenames turnicated DOS to LINUX to DOS?

8. T3 Console Pinout

9. Iomega ZIP, Linux & HP-UX: DOS FAT greatest common denominator?

10. MVS-->HP-UX--anyone else done this?

11. DOS Emulator for HP-UX ?

12. DOS Emulation on HP-UX 10.20 ?

13. Anti-virus (toolkit) for Unix (Sco, Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, Digital, Sun, Sunsparc) (CTOS)